How to Avoid the Annoying SMS Bug Plaguing People who Switch from iPhone to Android: Apple Sued over iMessage Bug
By Naveena Joy | May 22, 2014 4:29 PM EST
Apple is in news again and this time for wrong reasons. The company is facing a lawsuit over a persistent issue that prevents texts or SMS being delivered to iPhone users who switched from the iOS system to use Android phones.
A Californian woman, Adrienne Moore filed a case against Apple after switching to an Android phone, claiming that the company 'interfered' with cellular service contracts. The text messages sent by her friends with iPhones didn't reach her.
The reason for the non-delivery was that the phone number is still linked to the iPhone in Apple's system, and it is trying to send the texts using its proprietary data-channel "iMessage".
This constant issue affected the Android users who were former iPhone users and were automatically connected with iMessage. It is believed that a text sent to an Android user has been delivered, but the recipient never receives the text. And neither of the party is aware of the issue.
According to Business Insider, there are ways to avoid this annoying SMS bug plaguing people.
1. Switch off iMessage on iPhone
Users have to disable iMessage on their iPhone by going to the Settings, tapping on messages and now switch off the iMessage. One needs to check whether text is received in the normal way. If it is the normal way then text will appear in green otherwise in blue if still using iMessage.
2. Take your phone number out of iCloud
With the help of MacBook, sign into iCloud. And uncheck all those icons or menus that mention the phone number, especially "Account Details." It is very likely that the number is associated with iCloud account.
3. Have your closest friends and loved ones delete and re-add your phone number from their contact lists.
It is very important for people in the contact list to delete your phone number and re-add because even if the process of deleting details from iCloud is completed, these people may still be using iMessage which has your contact number.
4. Ask your friends to hit "Send as text message"
This is a situational option, not sure whether it will work or not. When friends send text and it is a failed text, they need to click on the 'i' information button and resend the text via text message and through iMessage.
5. Wait for 45 days before dumping your iPhone for a new non-Apple phone
The issue gets fixed within 45 days of its changes. After deactivating iMessage one can use a new phone but need to keep the old iPhone in case of any problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation