New York May Soon 'Be Under Water'
By Silvana Peters | May 22, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Statue of Liberty/Reuters
Scientists have warned about 30 national landmarks across the U.S. are vulnerable to the risks of climate change. In a report titled, "National Landmarks at Risk ," released by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), experts cited a growing concern that some of the nation's iconic sites are threatened by the effects of "human-induced" climate change."
The very real threats would include, but are not limited to, rising sea levels, increasingly frequent wildfires, heavy rains and flooding.
"From Ellis Island to the Everglades, Cape Canaveral to California's César Chávez National Monument, these sites symbolize values that unite all Americans - patriotism, freedom, democracy, and more - and together help weave the very fabric of our shared history," the report noted.
The report, although not a comprehensive analysis, also offered a selection of case studies that seek to illustrate the urgency of the situation, cultural values at risk and the varying degrees of impacts.
It is "a wake-up call" as the impacts of climate change continue. We must make hard choices now and take urgent steps to protect these sites and reduce the risks."
One of the sites highlighted was the famed landmark of the Statue of Liberty. According to the report, the Big Apple "has seen a foot of sea level rise over the last century," which has had a significant effect on the severity and extent of flooding. Citing the event was during Hurricane Sandy, "Floodwaters inundated 75 percent of Liberty Island and almost all of Ellis Island."
It further revealed the sea level has risen 12 inches (30 centimeters) around New York City over the past century. The National Landmarks at Risk' highlighted the urgency of acting on climate change with consequences already evident in various landmark sites.
Mitigation strategies were briefly listed like carbon emission reduction, allocation of resources and climate resilience to be elevated as national priority must be emphasized. The full report has been made available online, click here to view the document.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers