Federer and Baby Fed Hit a Practice Session for Roland Garros French Open; Comparison Side-by-Side [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 22, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Bulgarian athlete Grigor Dimitrov has been called "Baby Fed" because of his one-handed backhands similar to Roger Federer's playing style. Both Dimitrov and Federer are participants in the Roland Garros French Open tournament which begins on May 25 and ends on June 8. In preparation for the upcoming Grand Slam tournament, the duo hit a practice session at the Philippe Chatrier court.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Lleyton Hewitt of Australia during their men's final match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
Aussie tennis coach and analyst Darren Cahill shared a video of Federer and Dimitrov's training drills on his YouTube channel.
"Gr8 to get our work done 2day on/off crt, always an enjoyable & productive time when on crt with @rogerfederer @GrigorDimitrov," Dimitrov's coach Roger Rasheed also tweeted.
Federer and Dimitrov have only played once throughout their entire professional tennis careers. They faced each other in the quarterfinals of the Swiss Indoors tournament held in Federer's home country Basel, Switzerland in 2013. Federer won the match after he defeated Dimitrov in two straight sets. Following their Basel quarterfinals match, Federer told the reporters that he wasn't amused at all by the fact that people were calling Dimitrov "Baby Fed."
"I hope people don't call him Baby Fed so often anymore," Federer said as reported by Tennis.com
In an interview with CNN's Open Court Show back in 2013, Dimitrov said he admires Federer but he also made it clear that he wants to make a name for himself not because he plays that same style as Federer's.
"You know, all the comparisons, I think that I definitely want people to stop with that," said Dimitrov.
"Of course, we have some similarities here and there."
"I'm flattered with that and actually I thought it was really cool at the beginning."
"But with time, I've realised what I am." Dimitrov said that he doesn't want to imitate someone else.
"I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots."
"I think that's eventually what everyone will see," Dimitrov concluded.
Is Baby Fed really a thing of the past now? In March, Tennis Strategy Map posted a video on YouTube comparing Federer and Dimitrov's moves on the tennis court. Check it out and see for yourself. It is surprising how Dimitrov's strokes are so amazingly similar to Federer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage