Federer and Baby Fed Hit a Practice Session for Roland Garros French Open; Comparison Side-by-Side [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 22, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Bulgarian athlete Grigor Dimitrov has been called "Baby Fed" because of his one-handed backhands similar to Roger Federer's playing style. Both Dimitrov and Federer are participants in the Roland Garros French Open tournament which begins on May 25 and ends on June 8. In preparation for the upcoming Grand Slam tournament, the duo hit a practice session at the Philippe Chatrier court.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Lleyton Hewitt of Australia during their men's final match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
Aussie tennis coach and analyst Darren Cahill shared a video of Federer and Dimitrov's training drills on his YouTube channel.
"Gr8 to get our work done 2day on/off crt, always an enjoyable & productive time when on crt with @rogerfederer @GrigorDimitrov," Dimitrov's coach Roger Rasheed also tweeted.
Federer and Dimitrov have only played once throughout their entire professional tennis careers. They faced each other in the quarterfinals of the Swiss Indoors tournament held in Federer's home country Basel, Switzerland in 2013. Federer won the match after he defeated Dimitrov in two straight sets. Following their Basel quarterfinals match, Federer told the reporters that he wasn't amused at all by the fact that people were calling Dimitrov "Baby Fed."
"I hope people don't call him Baby Fed so often anymore," Federer said as reported by Tennis.com
In an interview with CNN's Open Court Show back in 2013, Dimitrov said he admires Federer but he also made it clear that he wants to make a name for himself not because he plays that same style as Federer's.
"You know, all the comparisons, I think that I definitely want people to stop with that," said Dimitrov.
"Of course, we have some similarities here and there."
"I'm flattered with that and actually I thought it was really cool at the beginning."
"But with time, I've realised what I am." Dimitrov said that he doesn't want to imitate someone else.
"I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots."
"I think that's eventually what everyone will see," Dimitrov concluded.
Is Baby Fed really a thing of the past now? In March, Tennis Strategy Map posted a video on YouTube comparing Federer and Dimitrov's moves on the tennis court. Check it out and see for yourself. It is surprising how Dimitrov's strokes are so amazingly similar to Federer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date