Federer and Baby Fed Hit a Practice Session for Roland Garros French Open; Comparison Side-by-Side [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 22, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Bulgarian athlete Grigor Dimitrov has been called "Baby Fed" because of his one-handed backhands similar to Roger Federer's playing style. Both Dimitrov and Federer are participants in the Roland Garros French Open tournament which begins on May 25 and ends on June 8. In preparation for the upcoming Grand Slam tournament, the duo hit a practice session at the Philippe Chatrier court.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Lleyton Hewitt of Australia during their men's final match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
Aussie tennis coach and analyst Darren Cahill shared a video of Federer and Dimitrov's training drills on his YouTube channel.
"Gr8 to get our work done 2day on/off crt, always an enjoyable & productive time when on crt with @rogerfederer @GrigorDimitrov," Dimitrov's coach Roger Rasheed also tweeted.
Federer and Dimitrov have only played once throughout their entire professional tennis careers. They faced each other in the quarterfinals of the Swiss Indoors tournament held in Federer's home country Basel, Switzerland in 2013. Federer won the match after he defeated Dimitrov in two straight sets. Following their Basel quarterfinals match, Federer told the reporters that he wasn't amused at all by the fact that people were calling Dimitrov "Baby Fed."
"I hope people don't call him Baby Fed so often anymore," Federer said as reported by Tennis.com
In an interview with CNN's Open Court Show back in 2013, Dimitrov said he admires Federer but he also made it clear that he wants to make a name for himself not because he plays that same style as Federer's.
"You know, all the comparisons, I think that I definitely want people to stop with that," said Dimitrov.
"Of course, we have some similarities here and there."
"I'm flattered with that and actually I thought it was really cool at the beginning."
"But with time, I've realised what I am." Dimitrov said that he doesn't want to imitate someone else.
"I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots."
"I think that's eventually what everyone will see," Dimitrov concluded.
Is Baby Fed really a thing of the past now? In March, Tennis Strategy Map posted a video on YouTube comparing Federer and Dimitrov's moves on the tennis court. Check it out and see for yourself. It is surprising how Dimitrov's strokes are so amazingly similar to Federer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]