Federer and Baby Fed Hit a Practice Session for Roland Garros French Open; Comparison Side-by-Side [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 22, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Bulgarian athlete Grigor Dimitrov has been called "Baby Fed" because of his one-handed backhands similar to Roger Federer's playing style. Both Dimitrov and Federer are participants in the Roland Garros French Open tournament which begins on May 25 and ends on June 8. In preparation for the upcoming Grand Slam tournament, the duo hit a practice session at the Philippe Chatrier court.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Lleyton Hewitt of Australia during their men's final match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
Aussie tennis coach and analyst Darren Cahill shared a video of Federer and Dimitrov's training drills on his YouTube channel.
"Gr8 to get our work done 2day on/off crt, always an enjoyable & productive time when on crt with @rogerfederer @GrigorDimitrov," Dimitrov's coach Roger Rasheed also tweeted.
Federer and Dimitrov have only played once throughout their entire professional tennis careers. They faced each other in the quarterfinals of the Swiss Indoors tournament held in Federer's home country Basel, Switzerland in 2013. Federer won the match after he defeated Dimitrov in two straight sets. Following their Basel quarterfinals match, Federer told the reporters that he wasn't amused at all by the fact that people were calling Dimitrov "Baby Fed."
"I hope people don't call him Baby Fed so often anymore," Federer said as reported by Tennis.com
In an interview with CNN's Open Court Show back in 2013, Dimitrov said he admires Federer but he also made it clear that he wants to make a name for himself not because he plays that same style as Federer's.
"You know, all the comparisons, I think that I definitely want people to stop with that," said Dimitrov.
"Of course, we have some similarities here and there."
"I'm flattered with that and actually I thought it was really cool at the beginning."
"But with time, I've realised what I am." Dimitrov said that he doesn't want to imitate someone else.
"I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots."
"I think that's eventually what everyone will see," Dimitrov concluded.
Is Baby Fed really a thing of the past now? In March, Tennis Strategy Map posted a video on YouTube comparing Federer and Dimitrov's moves on the tennis court. Check it out and see for yourself. It is surprising how Dimitrov's strokes are so amazingly similar to Federer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown