UEFA Champions League Final Match Preview: Head-to-Head Statistics
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 22, 2014 1:46 PM EST
The biggest club competition in Europe is coming to its conclusion this weekend at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica.
Here are some facts and figures to take note of before the final:
- This is only the first UEFA Champions League Final to be played between two teams from the same city in 59 years.
- This is the fifth final played between two teams from the same country.
- This is only the second European Cup final for Atlético Madrid while it will be Real Madrid's 13th final.
- Full list of Real Madrid Champions League final appearances:
1955/56: Real Madrid CF 4-3 Stade de Reims (Parc des Princes, Paris)
1956/57: Real Madrid CF 2-0 AC Fiorentina (Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid)
1957/58: Real Madrid CF 3-2 AC Milan (Heysel Stadium, Brussels)
1958/59: Real Madrid CF 2-0 Stade de Reims (Neckarstadion, Stuttgart)
1959/60: Real Madrid CF 7-3 Eintracht Frankfurt (Hampden Park, Glasgow)
1961/62: SL Benfica 5-3 Real Madrid CF (Olympisch Stadion, Amsterdam)
1963/64: FC Internazionale Milano 3-1 Real Madrid CF (Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna)
1965/66: Real Madrid CF 2-1 FK Partizan (Heysel Stadium, Brussels)
1980/81: Liverpool FC 1-0 Real Madrid CF (Parc des Princes, Paris)
1997/98: Juventus 0-1 Real Madrid CF (Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam)
1999/00: Real Madrid CF 3-0 Valencia CF (Stade de France, Saint-Denis)
2001/02: Bayer 04 Leverkusen 1-2 Real Madrid CF (Hampden Park, Glasgow)
- Atlético's only final appearance was during the 1973/74 season was at Heysel Stadium against FC Bayern Munchen where they had a 1-1 draw in the first leg but lost 4-0 in the replay.
- Atlético, if they win, would be the 23rd club to lift the Champions League trophy.
- This will be Real Madrid's 25th UEFA Competition final.
- The teams only met once in a European competition in the 1958/59 Euroopean Cup semi-finals. Madrid won 2-1 in the replay after both teams ended level in home and away legs.Background Statistics
- The two teams' Spanish League and Cup record in 194 meetings is as follows:
Real Madrid 102 wins
Atlético Madrid 46 wins
- This season, Atlético Madrid scored their first league win against Real Madrid since 1999.
- Real Madrid defeated Atlético in this season's Copa del Rey semi-final 5-0 on aggregate.
- Atlético has been more successful in their Copa del Rey final clashes with Atlético coming out on top four out of five times.
- Atlético remain unbeaten in this season's UEFA Champions League with nine wins and three draws.
- Real Madrid meanwhile, have won ten games, had one draw and lost once to Borussia Dortmund 2-0 in the quarter finals.
- Carlo Ancelotti, Real Madrid's coah is aiming to win his third European Cup. Previous wins were with AC Milan (2003, 2007).
- Diego Simeone could become only the third non-European coach to lift the trophy and the third Argentinian.
- Real Madrid's European competition shoot-out record: W1 L2
- Atlético's European competition shoot-out record: W0 L3
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored in 12 out of 13 games against Atlético in all competitions.
- David Villa has scored nine goals against Real Madrid in his career while playing for Atlético, Barcelona, Valencia and Zaragoza.
The final match is scheduled to kick-off at 20:45 CET on May 24, 2014..
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date