Jennifer Lawrence Jokes about Rape: Faces Backlash from Media and Fans
By nidhi tewari | May 22, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Jennifer Lawrence has been caught with her foot in her mouth - again. The 23-year-old made a joke about rape at the Vanity Fair and Armani Party in Cannes Film Festival for which she has been criticized by her fans and media. Though Jennifer's intentions were not bad, it seems that her fans found the very mention of rape in the form of joke very offensive. Rape is a serious offense and no jokes are tolerated on it, even if it is by a celebrity.
Cast member Jennifer Lawrence poses during a photocall for the film "The Hunger Games : Mockingjay - Part 1" at the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 17, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
According to Daily Mail, Jennifer was talking to someone about her first ever experience of meeting "Gravity" director Alfonso Cuarón. She was overheard saying that she was so happy to see Cuaron that she started screaming and approached him saying: "I broke out my rape scream for you!"
Though Jennifer Lawrence has been famous for being open minded in her interviews and has even portrayed similar behavior otherwise too, her rape joke was not taken in good stride by media.
According to brietbart.com, Jennifer Lawrence's rape joke has turned into a "PR nightmare" for her. "Tasteless jokes are no longer acceptable, even when told without wicked intentions and among friends, apparently," the Web site writes.
"Not the best thing to say, gurl! We know you're always open and honest in interviews, but COME ON, a rape joke?!? We're sure she thought that what was said at the party was private, but even still, that's no excuse for a rape joke!!" writes celebrity blogger Perez Hilton on his Web site.
"They're not funny, ever," Perez added.
Just like Jennifer Lawrence, Miley Cyrus too was criticized for her notorious comments on date rape some time back. While interacting with the audience at the G-A-Y club, Miley stirred a little controversy with her choice of words in not only rape but also homosexuality.
"All it takes is one cocktail. And if that doesn't work, sprinkle something in their drink. That's what I always do," the singer joked! Miley's comment too has not received a very good response from her fans and media critics and most Web sites are of the opinion that the singer's statement is very controversial. Read more about it here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight