Jennifer Lawrence Jokes about Rape: Faces Backlash from Media and Fans
By nidhi tewari | May 22, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Jennifer Lawrence has been caught with her foot in her mouth - again. The 23-year-old made a joke about rape at the Vanity Fair and Armani Party in Cannes Film Festival for which she has been criticized by her fans and media. Though Jennifer's intentions were not bad, it seems that her fans found the very mention of rape in the form of joke very offensive. Rape is a serious offense and no jokes are tolerated on it, even if it is by a celebrity.
Cast member Jennifer Lawrence poses during a photocall for the film "The Hunger Games : Mockingjay - Part 1" at the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 17, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
According to Daily Mail, Jennifer was talking to someone about her first ever experience of meeting "Gravity" director Alfonso Cuarón. She was overheard saying that she was so happy to see Cuaron that she started screaming and approached him saying: "I broke out my rape scream for you!"
Though Jennifer Lawrence has been famous for being open minded in her interviews and has even portrayed similar behavior otherwise too, her rape joke was not taken in good stride by media.
According to brietbart.com, Jennifer Lawrence's rape joke has turned into a "PR nightmare" for her. "Tasteless jokes are no longer acceptable, even when told without wicked intentions and among friends, apparently," the Web site writes.
"Not the best thing to say, gurl! We know you're always open and honest in interviews, but COME ON, a rape joke?!? We're sure she thought that what was said at the party was private, but even still, that's no excuse for a rape joke!!" writes celebrity blogger Perez Hilton on his Web site.
"They're not funny, ever," Perez added.
Just like Jennifer Lawrence, Miley Cyrus too was criticized for her notorious comments on date rape some time back. While interacting with the audience at the G-A-Y club, Miley stirred a little controversy with her choice of words in not only rape but also homosexuality.
"All it takes is one cocktail. And if that doesn't work, sprinkle something in their drink. That's what I always do," the singer joked! Miley's comment too has not received a very good response from her fans and media critics and most Web sites are of the opinion that the singer's statement is very controversial. Read more about it here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet