Jennifer Lawrence Jokes about Rape: Faces Backlash from Media and Fans
By nidhi tewari | May 22, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Jennifer Lawrence has been caught with her foot in her mouth - again. The 23-year-old made a joke about rape at the Vanity Fair and Armani Party in Cannes Film Festival for which she has been criticized by her fans and media. Though Jennifer's intentions were not bad, it seems that her fans found the very mention of rape in the form of joke very offensive. Rape is a serious offense and no jokes are tolerated on it, even if it is by a celebrity.
Cast member Jennifer Lawrence poses during a photocall for the film "The Hunger Games : Mockingjay - Part 1" at the 67th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 17, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
According to Daily Mail, Jennifer was talking to someone about her first ever experience of meeting "Gravity" director Alfonso Cuarón. She was overheard saying that she was so happy to see Cuaron that she started screaming and approached him saying: "I broke out my rape scream for you!"
Though Jennifer Lawrence has been famous for being open minded in her interviews and has even portrayed similar behavior otherwise too, her rape joke was not taken in good stride by media.
According to brietbart.com, Jennifer Lawrence's rape joke has turned into a "PR nightmare" for her. "Tasteless jokes are no longer acceptable, even when told without wicked intentions and among friends, apparently," the Web site writes.
"Not the best thing to say, gurl! We know you're always open and honest in interviews, but COME ON, a rape joke?!? We're sure she thought that what was said at the party was private, but even still, that's no excuse for a rape joke!!" writes celebrity blogger Perez Hilton on his Web site.
"They're not funny, ever," Perez added.
Just like Jennifer Lawrence, Miley Cyrus too was criticized for her notorious comments on date rape some time back. While interacting with the audience at the G-A-Y club, Miley stirred a little controversy with her choice of words in not only rape but also homosexuality.
"All it takes is one cocktail. And if that doesn't work, sprinkle something in their drink. That's what I always do," the singer joked! Miley's comment too has not received a very good response from her fans and media critics and most Web sites are of the opinion that the singer's statement is very controversial. Read more about it here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation