iPhone 6 Release Date Nears as iPhone 5S Consumer Appeal Loses Traction: Top 10 Must-Wait Features
By Erik Pineda | May 22, 2014 1:09 PM EST
The iPhone 6 release date this 2014 is fast approaching - this seems to be the prevailing sentiment among Apple and consumers in general as a new report indicates that interest on the iPhone 5S is gradually on the decline.
CTF0 via DeviantArt
iPhone 6 Concept Image
In a survey conducted by Piper Jaffray that involves some 1000 U.S.-based consumers, it was shown that the current Apple flagship and the iPhone 5C as well will only lure more than 30 per cent of total smartphone buys in the next few months.
The dip in interest for the existing iPhone line up is explained by Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray as partly due to consumers' attraction to high-end Android rivals, presumably bannered by the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8
But mostly, the increasing turn away is brought about by Apple's nearing product cycle upgrade, MacRumors said in a report. In short, the plunge is artificial and is directly caused by buyers holding off for the 5S sequel - that iPhone 6 that rumours said will come in two builds, a 4.7-inch model and a 5.5-inch phablet edition.
Overall, Munster told MacRumors that the "can remain healthy into the iPhone 6 upgrade in September."
And below are the top 10 iPhone 6 specs and features that according to a separate survey reported by BGR many consumers are waiting for (with a number partially confirmed to be included out of the box):
More battery hours
Dominating the wishlist put together by the WalletHero poll is extended battery time for the next iPhone, which applies for the two builds. Around nine out of 10 would-be buyers are looking forward to enjoy longer operating hours in a single juice up of the iPhone 6.
Larger display panel
This has been the long-term clamour among Apple fans since Android devices started sporting supersized screens and it appears the wish will be granted soon. Analysts are looking forward for the iPhone maker to unbox 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch devices later in the year, with Apple finally dumping its 4-inch screen standard.
Powerful and speedy CPU
A7 chip in the iPhone 5S has already showcased significant bump ups in speed and muscle as Apple jump to 64-bit dual-core mobile computing for its premium iOS devices. In the iPhone 6, further processing chip enhancements should be in the bag as the device is touted to draw its power from a 64-bit A8 chipset.
A more reliable shooter
At 8MP with the oodles of killer camera application features stuffed with it, the main iPhone cam shooter is a darling both for consumers and critics alike. While the chatter points to the same megapixel treatment in the iPhone 6, fans, according to reports, will not be disappointed by the inclusion of optical image stabilisation feature and better lens sensor attributes that permit the production of clips and images with supreme quality.
Capacious storage space
There were talks that the next iPhone upgrade is packed with better internal memory as high as 128GB but some Apple fans are pushing the limit of what they can extract from the company - hoping for a memory expansion slot that BGR said is requested by 37 per cent of buyers.
Robust iPhone shell
No doubt the iPhone body design language is a delight for Apple fans but beyond its beauty the device will highlight sturdiness. Apple Insider reported this week that Apple has finalised a deal that will ensure the inclusion of Liquidmetal material to its products. Liquidmetal covering the iPhone 6 means near indestructibility for the life-cycle of the device.
Slim and featherweight
Underscoring the upcoming iPhone allure is its outward beauty that analysts said is accentuated by a housing that is thinner and lighter than even with curved corners highlights.
Mark Gurman of 9to5Mac shared this week that iOS being revealed via the 2014 WWDC this coming June is good as confirmed. This translates to the new Apple mobile platform giving life to the host of killer features that the iPhone 6 is set to deliver.
While a long-shot, a tiny speck of iPhone users are hoping that a day would come that Apple will consider designing a smartphone that accommodates two-SIM functions. This is craved for the iPhone 6, perhaps as BGR noted that eight per cent of the respondents queried by WalletHero would love to use two different networks on the upcoming iPhone.
Now as only three out of 10 U.S. phone buyers are planning to snag the current iPhone models, the same number of consumers are wishing too that the iPhone 5S sequel will come with a more attractive sticker price. Read that as $200 to $300 for the under-contact units and under $500 for the unlocked.
These awaited features will get confirmation with the iPhone 6 release date, which is pegged late September 2014 for the 4.7-inch variant and December of the same year for the phablet-size 5.5-inch model.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell