New Lemonhead Mascot Beats People's Reactions to McDonald's Happy [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 22, 2014 12:06 PM EST
If the recent McDonald's Happy terrified Twitter and most social media users, The Lemonhead candy brand's new mascot might just top that. Ferrara Candy Co. rolled out an updated new mascot and introduced him on Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook last Sunday. Just like McDonald's Happy not getting a positive welcome from social media users, "Lemonhead" starts to receive the same feedback.
Chicago-based Ferrara Candy Co. establishes a new fresh look for Lemonhead as its "shedding" his "little boy" look. The revamped character will help in promotional activities, and from time to time post updates for the company's Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts. Along with the new look, the company will also include new packaging and a new logo.
"The 52-year-old brand of the Chicago-based Ferrara Candy Co. aims to get the attention of teens and young adults for the original candy and an older group for the Chewy Lemonhead that was introduced in 2007. Lemonhead has a fan base among 20- and 30-somethings," the company said, in a report from The Chicago Tribune.
Dawn Skyora, director of marketing for iconic brands at Ferrara, shared to The Tribune that the brand was looking forward to appeal to older consumers. Before, the character was illustrated as a cute Lemonhead child wearing a bowtie, and a patch of hair atop his head. The company has put the new Lemonhead to his early 20's. The character will be seen being active on social media, and watching live sports.
Along with the character's changes, the company made some changes like the logo being larger for easier finding on the shelves. More of the changes will be explained and revealed during the three-day Sweets and Snacks Expo at McCormick Place that started Tuesday, May 20.
Skyora said that the new look gave its candies a new and updated packaging, but the candy stays the same. They are updating the fruits in the package to make it more visually appealing. Also they have emphasised "the real lemon juice" in the packaging and added the calorie count information as now required on all food packaging.
Lemonhead's new look resulted similar feedback from McDonald's recent new character Happy, which scared (or made fun of) by social media users. Various reports have started comparing the new Lemonhead to Happy, or how these two companies have recently released advertisements that are intended to encourage people into their products - sadly for them, as the most of the public speaks out, it scared people more than attracting them.
The brand started on Lemonhead posting a Twitter photo with the caption, "Hey."
— Lemonhead (@Lemonhead) May 19, 2014
Here some of the recent Twitter reactions to Lemonhead.
What nightmares are made of “@Lemonhead: Hey pic.twitter.com/NICBOL83b5” — Chris Zois (@zoischicago) May 20, 2014
— Scott Bixby (@scottbix) May 20, 2014
Nightmare fuel! "@Lemonhead Hey pic.twitter.com/Htk5kxPi3u" — Brandon Mitchell (@brandmitchell) May 20, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports