Upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 'Active' for AT&T Lands in a Video
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 22, 2014 11:47 AM EST
From the time the Galaxy S5 landed in store shelves, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 "Active" started making waves in the blogosphere. This officially unannounced smartphone is easily one of the most awaited handsets of this year. Also, this device is touted to be the sturdier version of the recently released Galaxy S5.
The Galaxy S5 Active has recently been spotted in a video by TK Tech News. This group was able to get its hands on the upcoming model and released a video showcasing the device. According to the group, this is a prototype of the rugged version of the Galaxy S5.
(Credit: YouTube/TK TECH NEWS)
This handset runs on Android v4.4.2 on top of Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The device's designated model number is SM-G870A.
Even though there is no confirmation on this specification, the unique selling point is expected to be the higher resolution of the device when compared to the flagship Galaxy S5.
From the first look of the device, the S5 Active looks solid and sturdy. There are a total of three buttons in the front of the handset—same as the last year's model. The smartphone is padded around the edges. There is also an additional casing that should keep the phone intact even if the device falls.
As mentioned by TK in the video and as mentioned also by Droid-Life, the display of the screen is "more crisp" when compared to the Galaxy S5. In addition, the Galaxy S5 Active will sport a removable battery unit. It also houses a heart rate monitor.
It is worth noting that, the video further bolstered recent rumours indicating the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active will have a super tough exterior, owing to the fact that the device is MIL-STD-810G rated. This rating implies the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active is protected from salt water damage and thermal shocks, among other kinds of potential damage.
The last set of leaked information reported the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active will be powered by a Snapdragon 801 processor and will house a 16-MP front-facing camera. It remains to be seen though if these features will, indeed, be realised.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast