Levi’s Pushes for No Washing of Jeans to Save Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:13 AM EST
With the threat of El Nino looming over different parts of the world, popular jeans maker Levi's wants to contribute its bit to the environment, particularly water conservation efforts, by advocating its jeans need not be washed at all.
By not laundering the jeans, the sturdy pants are kept in mint condition, while helping the environment, said Levi's CEO Chip Bergh.
Bergh admitted the pair he wears is12 months old, and he hasn't washed them yet.
He said, quoted by the Herald Sun, "I know that sounds totally disgusting. I know it does but believe me it can be done. You can spot clean it, you can air dry it, and it's fine. I am yet to get a skin disease or anything else, it works."
Bergh also cited the experience of some jeans diehards who don't launder their blue jeans and instead clean it using a sponge or toothbrush.
To further push its green practices, Levi's has created clothes that use less energy and water in the manufacturing process and at the same time provide an acid-wash look minus the use of harmful bleach or chemicals.
He discussed the sustainable measures at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference on Tuesday, which marked the 141st anniversary of the iconic Levi's 501 jeans.
Bergh stressed, "We are the ultimate in sustainable apparel. We build our products to last, if you treat 'em right they will last you a long time - probably longer than most people's waistlines."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks