Levi’s Pushes for No Washing of Jeans to Save Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:13 AM EST
With the threat of El Nino looming over different parts of the world, popular jeans maker Levi's wants to contribute its bit to the environment, particularly water conservation efforts, by advocating its jeans need not be washed at all.
By not laundering the jeans, the sturdy pants are kept in mint condition, while helping the environment, said Levi's CEO Chip Bergh.
Bergh admitted the pair he wears is12 months old, and he hasn't washed them yet.
He said, quoted by the Herald Sun, "I know that sounds totally disgusting. I know it does but believe me it can be done. You can spot clean it, you can air dry it, and it's fine. I am yet to get a skin disease or anything else, it works."
Bergh also cited the experience of some jeans diehards who don't launder their blue jeans and instead clean it using a sponge or toothbrush.
To further push its green practices, Levi's has created clothes that use less energy and water in the manufacturing process and at the same time provide an acid-wash look minus the use of harmful bleach or chemicals.
He discussed the sustainable measures at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference on Tuesday, which marked the 141st anniversary of the iconic Levi's 501 jeans.
Bergh stressed, "We are the ultimate in sustainable apparel. We build our products to last, if you treat 'em right they will last you a long time - probably longer than most people's waistlines."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate