Levi’s Pushes for No Washing of Jeans to Save Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:13 AM EST
With the threat of El Nino looming over different parts of the world, popular jeans maker Levi's wants to contribute its bit to the environment, particularly water conservation efforts, by advocating its jeans need not be washed at all.
By not laundering the jeans, the sturdy pants are kept in mint condition, while helping the environment, said Levi's CEO Chip Bergh.
Bergh admitted the pair he wears is12 months old, and he hasn't washed them yet.
He said, quoted by the Herald Sun, "I know that sounds totally disgusting. I know it does but believe me it can be done. You can spot clean it, you can air dry it, and it's fine. I am yet to get a skin disease or anything else, it works."
Bergh also cited the experience of some jeans diehards who don't launder their blue jeans and instead clean it using a sponge or toothbrush.
To further push its green practices, Levi's has created clothes that use less energy and water in the manufacturing process and at the same time provide an acid-wash look minus the use of harmful bleach or chemicals.
He discussed the sustainable measures at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference on Tuesday, which marked the 141st anniversary of the iconic Levi's 501 jeans.
Bergh stressed, "We are the ultimate in sustainable apparel. We build our products to last, if you treat 'em right they will last you a long time - probably longer than most people's waistlines."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Peru Probes Into The Deaths Of 500 Sea Lions
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft