Levi’s Pushes for No Washing of Jeans to Save Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:13 AM EST
With the threat of El Nino looming over different parts of the world, popular jeans maker Levi's wants to contribute its bit to the environment, particularly water conservation efforts, by advocating its jeans need not be washed at all.
By not laundering the jeans, the sturdy pants are kept in mint condition, while helping the environment, said Levi's CEO Chip Bergh.
Bergh admitted the pair he wears is12 months old, and he hasn't washed them yet.
He said, quoted by the Herald Sun, "I know that sounds totally disgusting. I know it does but believe me it can be done. You can spot clean it, you can air dry it, and it's fine. I am yet to get a skin disease or anything else, it works."
Bergh also cited the experience of some jeans diehards who don't launder their blue jeans and instead clean it using a sponge or toothbrush.
To further push its green practices, Levi's has created clothes that use less energy and water in the manufacturing process and at the same time provide an acid-wash look minus the use of harmful bleach or chemicals.
He discussed the sustainable measures at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference on Tuesday, which marked the 141st anniversary of the iconic Levi's 501 jeans.
Bergh stressed, "We are the ultimate in sustainable apparel. We build our products to last, if you treat 'em right they will last you a long time - probably longer than most people's waistlines."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Top UFO Sightings Ever [Watch Videos]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015