Levi’s Pushes for No Washing of Jeans to Save Water
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:13 AM EST
With the threat of El Nino looming over different parts of the world, popular jeans maker Levi's wants to contribute its bit to the environment, particularly water conservation efforts, by advocating its jeans need not be washed at all.
By not laundering the jeans, the sturdy pants are kept in mint condition, while helping the environment, said Levi's CEO Chip Bergh.
Bergh admitted the pair he wears is12 months old, and he hasn't washed them yet.
He said, quoted by the Herald Sun, "I know that sounds totally disgusting. I know it does but believe me it can be done. You can spot clean it, you can air dry it, and it's fine. I am yet to get a skin disease or anything else, it works."
Bergh also cited the experience of some jeans diehards who don't launder their blue jeans and instead clean it using a sponge or toothbrush.
To further push its green practices, Levi's has created clothes that use less energy and water in the manufacturing process and at the same time provide an acid-wash look minus the use of harmful bleach or chemicals.
He discussed the sustainable measures at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference on Tuesday, which marked the 141st anniversary of the iconic Levi's 501 jeans.
Bergh stressed, "We are the ultimate in sustainable apparel. We build our products to last, if you treat 'em right they will last you a long time - probably longer than most people's waistlines."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen