Lenovo Claims to Have Overtaken Apple in PC Sales in the U.S.
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 9:00 AM EST
All eyes are on the newly released Surface Pro 3 by Microsoft and its rivalry with the Apple bestseller tablet, the 13-inch MacBook Air. However, what has gone unnoticed by the tech world is how Lenovo has reportedly overtaken the sales of Apple's Macs in the U.S. PC market for the first time.
People walk past a Lenovo shop in Hefei, Anhui province, October 18, 2013. Chinese computer maker Lenovo, which has signed a non-disclosure deal to examine BlackBerry's books, faces regulatory obstacles if it bids for all of the company and will likely pursue just parts, a source familiar with the matter said on Thursday.
Engadget reports that Chinese PC-maker Lenovo grabbed the third place in the PC market from Apple, behind HP and Dell. The claim is based on sales data for the last three months, believed to be culled from IDC.
A separate Gartner report acknowledged that Lenovo logged the strongest growth in Q1 2014 among the top 5 vendors, enjoying a 10.9 per cent expansion of its shipments and further confirming its emerging position as global leader in the PC market.
The report, which use preliminary estimates, placed total worldwide PC shipments at 76.5 million units for the first 3 months of 2014, of which 16.9 per cent belongs to Lenovo with 12.9 million units, followed by HP with a market share of 16 per cent (12.2 million units) and Dell 12.5 per cent share (9.5 million units).
Lenovo is expected to further widen its lead in the global market with its recent purchase of Motorola Mobility from Google for $2.9 billion.
However, in the U.S. market, Gartner said Apple was still on third place with a market share of 10.8 per cent and shipments of 1.521 million units, while Lenovo is a close fourth place with its 10.4 per cent market share (1.459 million units).
Meanwhile, SlashGear's comparison of the New Surface Pro 3 and MacBook Air found the Window's tablet is thinner than the Apple tablet and fits 6 per cent more on its smaller display of 12 inches compared to the MacBook's larger screen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid