Goodbye, Sagging Breasts: New Form of Plastic Surgery Promises Firmer Bosoms Using Bra-Shaped Silicone Sling Implants
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 8:53 AM EST
A new medical produce offers a possible solution to a female problem that comes with age - sagging mammary glands.
The European Union had already approved the new form of plastic surgery developed by Orbix Medical, while the U.S. is reviewing the procedure which involves implanting bra-shaped silicone slings underneath the skin.
British Nagor makes 75,000 silicone breast implants in the UK a year (Reuters)
A surgeon inserts the silicon cups underneath the breast tissue and keeps it in place by attaching the slings to the rib cage bones using titanium screws. The procedure is over in 45 minutes.
Due to its promise of minimal scarring, the procedure could one day replace the traditional breast-lift procedure.
Since its first clinical trial in Belgium in 2009, over 60 such procedures have been performed throughout Europe where the EU has provided it a CE mark, allowing its sale in the bloc.
The cost is about $2,000 more expensive than the traditional breast implants, but the UK is reportedly planning to offer it for free to NHS breast reduction or breast cancer patients, reported The Sun. Guy's & St Thomas Hospital in London charges £6,000 for the procedure.
However, some medical practitioners seek a longer period of observation to determine its side effects.
Professor Kefah Mokbel of the London Breast Institute pointed out, quoted by MailOnline, "These cups go under the skin, so the question is do we know the long-term effect to women, will they develop scaring and will the internal bra affect the shape of the breast in the long term? It is premature to say it is a solution to the issue of sagging breasts."
She added the CE certification refers to the safety of the materials used, not on the procedure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June