Goodbye, Sagging Breasts: New Form of Plastic Surgery Promises Firmer Bosoms Using Bra-Shaped Silicone Sling Implants
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 22, 2014 8:53 AM EST
A new medical produce offers a possible solution to a female problem that comes with age - sagging mammary glands.
The European Union had already approved the new form of plastic surgery developed by Orbix Medical, while the U.S. is reviewing the procedure which involves implanting bra-shaped silicone slings underneath the skin.
A surgeon inserts the silicon cups underneath the breast tissue and keeps it in place by attaching the slings to the rib cage bones using titanium screws. The procedure is over in 45 minutes.
Due to its promise of minimal scarring, the procedure could one day replace the traditional breast-lift procedure.
Since its first clinical trial in Belgium in 2009, over 60 such procedures have been performed throughout Europe where the EU has provided it a CE mark, allowing its sale in the bloc.
The cost is about $2,000 more expensive than the traditional breast implants, but the UK is reportedly planning to offer it for free to NHS breast reduction or breast cancer patients, reported The Sun. Guy's & St Thomas Hospital in London charges £6,000 for the procedure.
However, some medical practitioners seek a longer period of observation to determine its side effects.
Professor Kefah Mokbel of the London Breast Institute pointed out, quoted by MailOnline, "These cups go under the skin, so the question is do we know the long-term effect to women, will they develop scaring and will the internal bra affect the shape of the breast in the long term? It is premature to say it is a solution to the issue of sagging breasts."
She added the CE certification refers to the safety of the materials used, not on the procedure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China