FIFA World Cup Street Art Image Showing Hungry Brazil Child Served Football Goes Viral
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 22, 2014 4:35 AM EST
A street artist from Brazil has attempted to capture the paradox of hosting one of the most expensive sports tournaments in the world and dealing with grave problems the country suffers on a daily basis. He converted the anguish of many of his countrymen into street art. Now his sketch of a hungry child served a football on the platter has gone viral as the image is being shared by thousands of people all over the world. Paulo Ito painted a mural on the doors of a school in São Paulo earlier in May 2014.
Ito said that he wanted the world to know about their situation. "The truth is there is so much wrong in Brazil that it is difficult to know where to start," the street artist told Slate this week of the striking image. "I didn't mean [to say] nobody is doing anything against poverty. But we need to show the world or ourselves that the situation is still not good." The Facebook post sharing the photo of the street art has already been liked and shared for more than 42,000 times.
Disgruntled Brazilian citizens in several cities across the Latin American country have gone out to the streets to voice their protest against that billions of dollars that the Brazilian government is spending on the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Huffington Post reported that poverty was a "major national issue" while "public services remain neglected" in the country.
"My rent went from $135 to $360 in a matter of months. That's more than minimum wage, and my sons can't afford to support me anymore," Pedrina Josefina Felix told LA Times, "It's beautiful. And there is a good side to the World Cup, and to developing this neighborhood, I suppose. But it doesn't do any good for those of us who can't pay rents anymore."
The expected expense for the World Cup is over $11 billion. It took around $445 million only to build Arena Corinthians where the tournament would kick off.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]