Djokovic’s Latest Ace: $444K Winnings Donated to Serbia Flood Victims
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:33 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is best known for giving his all on the tennis court. Recently, he gave all of his winnings at the Rome Masters 2014 to the relief efforts for his homeland Serbia after a recent flooding tragedy.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic won a championship purse of $444,000 in the ATP tournament in Italy. After winning the title, he dedicated his most recent championship to his country.
“It's also a special dedication to my country, which is suffering a lot right now. My heart is with them," said the tennis World No. 2 after his win against rival Rafael Nadal. "I'm trying to contribute in my own way. These are very critical times for our country and our people. But we're being united and this win and this trophy is dedicated to them."
Apparently, words were not enough as he added financial support for the victims.
Torrential rains from May 14 to 16 in Bosnia and Serbia has affected more than 1.6 million people and 48 deaths have been reported. Damages from the historic flood could cost the countries billions.
While Djokovic has already served his ace for his country, his fans and supporters can also do the same by donating to the same cause via the Novak Djokovic Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James