Djokovic’s Latest Ace: $444K Winnings Donated to Serbia Flood Victims
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:33 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is best known for giving his all on the tennis court. Recently, he gave all of his winnings at the Rome Masters 2014 to the relief efforts for his homeland Serbia after a recent flooding tragedy.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic won a championship purse of $444,000 in the ATP tournament in Italy. After winning the title, he dedicated his most recent championship to his country.
“It's also a special dedication to my country, which is suffering a lot right now. My heart is with them," said the tennis World No. 2 after his win against rival Rafael Nadal. "I'm trying to contribute in my own way. These are very critical times for our country and our people. But we're being united and this win and this trophy is dedicated to them."
Apparently, words were not enough as he added financial support for the victims.
Torrential rains from May 14 to 16 in Bosnia and Serbia has affected more than 1.6 million people and 48 deaths have been reported. Damages from the historic flood could cost the countries billions.
While Djokovic has already served his ace for his country, his fans and supporters can also do the same by donating to the same cause via the Novak Djokovic Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal