Djokovic’s Latest Ace: $444K Winnings Donated to Serbia Flood Victims
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:33 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is best known for giving his all on the tennis court. Recently, he gave all of his winnings at the Rome Masters 2014 to the relief efforts for his homeland Serbia after a recent flooding tragedy.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic won a championship purse of $444,000 in the ATP tournament in Italy. After winning the title, he dedicated his most recent championship to his country.
“It's also a special dedication to my country, which is suffering a lot right now. My heart is with them," said the tennis World No. 2 after his win against rival Rafael Nadal. "I'm trying to contribute in my own way. These are very critical times for our country and our people. But we're being united and this win and this trophy is dedicated to them."
Apparently, words were not enough as he added financial support for the victims.
Torrential rains from May 14 to 16 in Bosnia and Serbia has affected more than 1.6 million people and 48 deaths have been reported. Damages from the historic flood could cost the countries billions.
While Djokovic has already served his ace for his country, his fans and supporters can also do the same by donating to the same cause via the Novak Djokovic Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories