Djokovic’s Latest Ace: $444K Winnings Donated to Serbia Flood Victims
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:33 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is best known for giving his all on the tennis court. Recently, he gave all of his winnings at the Rome Masters 2014 to the relief efforts for his homeland Serbia after a recent flooding tragedy.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic won a championship purse of $444,000 in the ATP tournament in Italy. After winning the title, he dedicated his most recent championship to his country.
“It's also a special dedication to my country, which is suffering a lot right now. My heart is with them," said the tennis World No. 2 after his win against rival Rafael Nadal. "I'm trying to contribute in my own way. These are very critical times for our country and our people. But we're being united and this win and this trophy is dedicated to them."
Apparently, words were not enough as he added financial support for the victims.
Torrential rains from May 14 to 16 in Bosnia and Serbia has affected more than 1.6 million people and 48 deaths have been reported. Damages from the historic flood could cost the countries billions.
While Djokovic has already served his ace for his country, his fans and supporters can also do the same by donating to the same cause via the Novak Djokovic Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch