Djokovic’s Latest Ace: $444K Winnings Donated to Serbia Flood Victims
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:33 AM EST
Novak Djokovic is best known for giving his all on the tennis court. Recently, he gave all of his winnings at the Rome Masters 2014 to the relief efforts for his homeland Serbia after a recent flooding tragedy.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic won a championship purse of $444,000 in the ATP tournament in Italy. After winning the title, he dedicated his most recent championship to his country.
“It's also a special dedication to my country, which is suffering a lot right now. My heart is with them," said the tennis World No. 2 after his win against rival Rafael Nadal. "I'm trying to contribute in my own way. These are very critical times for our country and our people. But we're being united and this win and this trophy is dedicated to them."
Apparently, words were not enough as he added financial support for the victims.
Torrential rains from May 14 to 16 in Bosnia and Serbia has affected more than 1.6 million people and 48 deaths have been reported. Damages from the historic flood could cost the countries billions.
While Djokovic has already served his ace for his country, his fans and supporters can also do the same by donating to the same cause via the Novak Djokovic Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks