'American Idol' 2014 Finale Winner: Live Blog (Updates Real Time), Wildcard Jena and 'Rock Viking' Caleb, Jena Irene Asciutto vs Caleb Johnson [Watch Videos]
By Arlene Paredes | May 22, 2014 4:19 AM EST
"American Idol" 2014 (Season 13) finale (Part 2 or the final results show) airs Wednesday, May 21 on FOX. This feature will be updated real time once the episode runs on air. Wildcard Idol candidate Jena Irene Asciutto is up against returning Idol hopeful Caleb Johnson, who was called a "Rock Viking" by AI judge Keith Urban.
Singers and judges Keith Urban (L), Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. (C) pose with host Ryan Seacrest (2nd R) and producer Randy Jackson at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood, California February 20, 2014.
American Idol 2014: Who is the winner?
Jena Irene Asciutto and Caleb Johnson both wowed the AI Season 13 judges on their Top 2 Performance Night. As far as Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick, Jr are concerned, it is virtually a tie. The American Idol 2014 winner is either a talented teenage pop performer or a big-vocal passionate rock star.
Jena Irene's best performance on American Idol Top 2 Tuesday was her reprise of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling In Love." AI judge Keith Urban pointed out Jena inspired "somebody else" (understood to be The Voice 2014 finalist Christina Grimmie) to perform the song. Fellow judge Harry Connick, Jr stated Jena's edge over the others is her smart artistry.
Watch Jena's and Caleb's "Best Number of the American Idol Season 13 Top 2 night" in the clips below, or check out American Idol's YouTube page.
Caleb Johnson's best of the night was his reinterpretation of Sir Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed." His take on Aerosmith's "Dream On" (chosen by American Idol creator Simon Fuller) was also compelling.
Where to watch American Idol 2014 finale online?
If AmericanIdol.com does not live stream the grand finals, YouTube is a legit albeit incomplete alternative. Those who are unable to catch the AI 2014 finals show on FOX may watch the YouTube videos here.
Verizon Fios and DirecTV are the other options, according to Bustle.com. A DVR is another good idea for United States viewers. American Idol 2014 finale is broadcasted via satellite in other countries. Overseas viewers should check their cable providers.
And the winner is... This year's American Idol 2014 title holder will be named after a 2-hour show. This feature will be updated to report real time updates as the show progresses. (Please bookmark and come back later.)
WATCH: Caleb Johnson Sings 'Maybe I'm Amazed' (Reprise) on American Idol Season 13 Finale Part 1
WATCH: Jena Irene Sings 'Can't Help Falling In Love' (Reprise) on American Idol 2014 Finale Part 1
As for American Idol 2014 winner predictions, supporters of Jena Irene seem confident that the 17-year-old Michigan singer-songwriter will emerge the winner. Based on the performances since the Season 13 Top 13, this prediction seems valid. (Editor: This prediction is of the reporter, not the publication.)
American Idol 2014 (Season 13) Live Blog
First fifteen minutes: Both Keith and Harry suited up for the finale. JLo went for a sparkly look. Jena Irene and Caleb opened the show with a lively medley. Sam Woolf was the first to perform solo among the rest of the Top 10. Phillip Phillips joins Sam on the stage. The American Idol Season 11 champ performed "Raging Fire" from his latest album, "Behind The Light." Ryan Seacrest promised more superstar performances coming up.
After the break: Jennifer Nettles and Jessica Meuse were up next. The two gave Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball" a whole new different sound. Jennifer Lopez was the next to perform with "First Love," the second single released off the 8th album "A.K.A."
Time to rock and roll! KISS and Caleb Johnson kicked off the second quarter of the 2-hour show. Harry Connick, Jr was on his feet, because "competition is over."
All the guy contestants of American Idol 2013 performed with Aloe Blacc. After that, the audience watched a footage showing Caleb and Jena Irene got a new Ford Mustang -- and so did their mentors. Demi Lovato took the stage next, with the AI 2014 ladies joining her soon enough.
Jena Irene performed with her favorite band, Paramore. (Then there was a downpour of yellow balloons.)
John Legend was the next "superstar" on stage. Malaya Watson joined Legend for an "All of Me" duet. (Malaya sounded off all throughout the number. Lack of rehearsal, perhaps.)
Jason Mraz and AI 2014 third placer Alex Preston were up next. (Their vibe and vocals blended so well, it would not be surprising if they go on more shows together.)
Ryan Seacrest had a "first" in his 13 years as American Idol host: Seacrest sang (or tried to sing) parts of "Right Here Waiting" with Richard Marx himself.
Dexter Roberts and C.J. Harris had fun on the stage with Darius Rucker. (Two "good guys" much loved by American Idol voters this year.)
Lady Antebellum performed their latest single "Bartender." It was not as strong as "Need You Now," but it did sound promising.
Judges Keith Urban, Harry Connick, Jr and Jennifer Lopez also went up the stage for a collab number with this year's resident mentor, Randy Jackson.
Finally, Ryan Seacrest was ready to announce this year's Idol champ. And the American Idol 2014 winner is... Caleb Johnson!
Caleb Perry Johnson was barely able to perform the winner's single, "As Long As You Love Me." Fans can look forward to seeing Caleb rock on during the Idol tour. (End of updates)
More TV Guide and Spoiler Features
'American Idol' 2014 (Season 13) Results, Top 3 To Final 2 Updated: Jena, Alex, Caleb Impress Judges; Fans Fear Sympathy Votes in Crucial Eliminations [Review, Videos]
'American Idol' 2014 (Season 13) Review: Top 5 Results Update, Sam Woolf vs CJ Harris - Who Goes Home? Will Wildcard Jena Irene Win? [VIDEOS]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown