Breaking (Up) News: Golf, Tennis Stars Rory McIlroy, Caroline Wozniacki Split
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:07 AM EST
Just days after their wedding invitations were sent out, golf star Rory McIlroy has announced that he broke up with prominent tennis player Caroline Wozniacki stating that “he wasn’t ready” for the marriage.
May 4, 2014; Charlotte, NC, USA; Rory McIlroy tees off on the fourth hole during the final round of the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow Club.
“There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people. The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails,” McIlroy said in a statement regarding the break-up with his fiancee.
"I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting."
McIlroy proposed to Wozniacki on New Year’s Eve and the details for the wedding in New York have already been arranged.
McIlroy admitted it was a difficult decision but confirmed that the separation was friendly.
"It was mutual and amicable and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on and I think I've said all that I need to say," the World No. 10 golfer told Belfast Newsletter.
The break-up comes in a difficult time as well as both are scheduled to play in major tournaments in their respective sports. McIlroy will be playing in the BMW PGA Championship, the European Tour's flagship event at Wentworth starting on Thursday while Wozniacki is preparing for the 2014 French Open, the second Grand Slam of the tennis season, scheduled from May 25 to June 8.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan