Breaking (Up) News: Golf, Tennis Stars Rory McIlroy, Caroline Wozniacki Split
By James Patrick Quizon | May 22, 2014 4:07 AM EST
Just days after their wedding invitations were sent out, golf star Rory McIlroy has announced that he broke up with prominent tennis player Caroline Wozniacki stating that “he wasn’t ready” for the marriage.
May 4, 2014; Charlotte, NC, USA; Rory McIlroy tees off on the fourth hole during the final round of the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow Club.
“There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people. The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails,” McIlroy said in a statement regarding the break-up with his fiancee.
"I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting."
McIlroy proposed to Wozniacki on New Year’s Eve and the details for the wedding in New York have already been arranged.
McIlroy admitted it was a difficult decision but confirmed that the separation was friendly.
"It was mutual and amicable and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on and I think I've said all that I need to say," the World No. 10 golfer told Belfast Newsletter.
The break-up comes in a difficult time as well as both are scheduled to play in major tournaments in their respective sports. McIlroy will be playing in the BMW PGA Championship, the European Tour's flagship event at Wentworth starting on Thursday while Wozniacki is preparing for the 2014 French Open, the second Grand Slam of the tennis season, scheduled from May 25 to June 8.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage