Manchester United News: Former Red Devils Defender Wishes to Retain Coaching Job, Believes van Gaal is 'the' Man for the Job
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 21, 2014 11:48 PM EST
Former Manchester United defender Phil Neville wishes to retain his coaching post at Old Trafford amid the appointment of new manager Louis van Gaal.
“I was first-team coach last year. I'm not sure what my role will be next year, but over the next couple of weeks, I'll find out about my role and hopefully I'll be involved at Manchester United.” - Phil Neville
"I hope so. It's business as usual as far as I'm concerned," the 37-year-old told Sky Sports.
"I was first-team coach last year. I'm not sure what my role will be next year, but over the next couple of weeks, I'll find out about my role and hopefully I'll be involved at Manchester United."
"The most important thing is that the club and team improve from last season. The results weren't what this club is expected of. Regardless of my position, the most important thing is the team and us challenging for league titles."
Meanwhile, the 62-year-old former Bayern Munich boss still has his hands full at the moment as he is still in charge of the Holland squad that will compete in the World Cup in June, and Neville knows that it won't be until after the quadrennial tournament that the club affairs will be ironed out.
"He'll have his processes, his structures and his team and you just hope you're a part of it," he added.
"He's obviously a busy man with Holland at the World Cup. It's good to get the new manager announced and the club can start looking forward again and looking to improve on last season."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change