Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Extends Top Rank Contact Until End of 2016; Kills Possibility of Dream Match vs Floyd Mayweather
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 21, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr is definitely off - at least for the next two-and-a-half years. Yahoo Sports reported on Wednesday that the eight-division title holder from the Philippines just extended his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions until the end of 2016.
Boxing promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, speaks during a boxing news conference at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 9, 2014. Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch of a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING) April 9, 2014
One of the conditions imposed by Mayweather for him to consider fighting Pacquiao is that the Filipino congressman should no longer be under Top Rank. Besides that condition, Money May also suspects that Pacquiao wants to fight him to pay off his tax arrears with the Philippine government that's why the latter showed interest when both of them won their respective bouts against Marcos Maidana and Timothy Bradley, respectively.
Interest in the Dream Match was revived when no less than former world heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali called on Mayweather, through a tweet, to face Pacquiao, which would have settled the question who is really the pound-for-pound king in the welterweight division.
But beyond 2016, assuming Pacquiao would no longer sign another contract extension with Arum, boxing experts doubt the viability of the Dream Match since Pacquiao would then be 38 and Mayweather 40.
However, Arum believes the match could still happen and gave it a 90-10 odds. He told Yahoo Sports, "I could see this scenario playing out, if I were Mayweather. He does the final three fights on his contract with Showtime, and he'll be paid an insane amount of money to do it. It's a great deal for him and he's going to be paid that no matter who he fight."
Arum disclosed that the contract extension with Pacquiao had been in the works for some time. "We agreed to it, then we had to do the paper work, and he was in the Philippines, and we got the signed agreement back today," USA TODAY quoted Arum.
Mayweather has announced on Tuesday that he will have his next fight on Sept 13, but has not named yet his opponent or the venue.
Boxing fans are clamouring for a fifth bout between Pacquiao and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez who beat Mike Alvarado on Saturday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff