Cristiano Ronaldo and Grigor Dimitrov Among the Most Marketable Athletes of 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 21, 2014 5:48 PM EST
Sport Pro Media has revealed that names of the athletes who made the complete cut in its annual list of the World's Most Marketable Athletes. A total of 13 women and 37 men from different fields of sports made it on the list.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria gives the thumbs up after defeating Michael Llodra of France in their opening round match at the Paris Masters men's singles tennis tournament at the Palais Omnisports of Bercy in Paris, October 29, 2013. Reuters/Charles Platiau
Some of celebrities known already known to have star power and marketability such as Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo and Bulgarian tennis athlete Grigor Dimitrov were included in the top 20. Ronaldo is at the fourth place while Dimitrov is trailing behind him at the fifth spot. Bouchard and Rousey are in the 13th and 18th positions, respectively.
According to Sports Pro Media, Ronaldo has always been present in the list. Ronaldo is still in his prime and people can expect him to play really good soccer in a handful of major tournaments, which would also equal to more sponsorships and endorsement deals. Euro Sport commentator Goncalo Moreira said that Ronaldo is "the man to endorse" in the sporting world of football.
Dimitrov, on the other hand, is on his way to the top. He had proven that he is more than just Maria Sharapova's boyfriend. Currently, he is in the 12th spot in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world rankings, his all-time career high. "Young, talented, and good looking, and in a globally popular sport looking for a new star to shine long-term, Grigor Dimitrov boasts all the ingredients to become a brand marketer's dream," Sports Pro Media wrote. Dimitrov's 2014 tennis season is going remarkably well. He last competed in the 2014 Italian Open where he reached the semi-finals before losing to top-ranked Rafael Nadal, but has already won two tournaments in Acapulco and Bucharest up-to-date.
Aside from Ronaldo and Dimitrov, other athletes on the list include Lewis Hamilton, who topped the list, Neymar, Canadian tennis athlete Eugenie Bouchard, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter Ronda Rousey, Los Angeles Clippers' Blake Griffin, and Canadian professional ice hockey player Steven Stamkos among many others.
For the complete list of 50 Most Marketable Athletes of 2014, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists