Cristiano Ronaldo and Grigor Dimitrov Among the Most Marketable Athletes of 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 21, 2014 5:48 PM EST
Sport Pro Media has revealed that names of the athletes who made the complete cut in its annual list of the World's Most Marketable Athletes. A total of 13 women and 37 men from different fields of sports made it on the list.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria gives the thumbs up after defeating Michael Llodra of France in their opening round match at the Paris Masters men's singles tennis tournament at the Palais Omnisports of Bercy in Paris, October 29, 2013. Reuters/Charles Platiau
Some of celebrities known already known to have star power and marketability such as Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo and Bulgarian tennis athlete Grigor Dimitrov were included in the top 20. Ronaldo is at the fourth place while Dimitrov is trailing behind him at the fifth spot. Bouchard and Rousey are in the 13th and 18th positions, respectively.
According to Sports Pro Media, Ronaldo has always been present in the list. Ronaldo is still in his prime and people can expect him to play really good soccer in a handful of major tournaments, which would also equal to more sponsorships and endorsement deals. Euro Sport commentator Goncalo Moreira said that Ronaldo is "the man to endorse" in the sporting world of football.
Dimitrov, on the other hand, is on his way to the top. He had proven that he is more than just Maria Sharapova's boyfriend. Currently, he is in the 12th spot in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world rankings, his all-time career high. "Young, talented, and good looking, and in a globally popular sport looking for a new star to shine long-term, Grigor Dimitrov boasts all the ingredients to become a brand marketer's dream," Sports Pro Media wrote. Dimitrov's 2014 tennis season is going remarkably well. He last competed in the 2014 Italian Open where he reached the semi-finals before losing to top-ranked Rafael Nadal, but has already won two tournaments in Acapulco and Bucharest up-to-date.
Aside from Ronaldo and Dimitrov, other athletes on the list include Lewis Hamilton, who topped the list, Neymar, Canadian tennis athlete Eugenie Bouchard, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter Ronda Rousey, Los Angeles Clippers' Blake Griffin, and Canadian professional ice hockey player Steven Stamkos among many others.
For the complete list of 50 Most Marketable Athletes of 2014, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide