McDonald's New Character 'Happy' Gets Funny Reactions From Social Media Users [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 21, 2014 5:35 PM EST
McDonald's has recently released a new character named Happy, who serves as a new addition to McDonald's Happy Meal team of characters like Grimace and Hamburgler.
A McDonalds fast food restaurant is seen in Toronto, May 1, 2014. About 400,000 people came to Canada under the government's temporary foreign worker program, which is designed to fill jobs for which there are no qualified Canadian candidates. The program has been hugely popular with employers, ballooning from 100,000 workers in 2002. But the backlash against it has also grown as the program, initially designed to help the booming resource industry, has expanded to lower-skilled jobs, especially at restaurant chains such as McDonald's Corp and Tim Hortons Inc. To match Feature CANADA-EMPLOYMENT/TEMPORARY
McDonald's attempt to introduce a new friendly character to the public has raked in negative responses from Twitter and Facebook users. The box-shaped character is complete with "lively" eyes, white rubber-thin arms and legs, gym shoes and a very huge toothy smile.
Happy is designed to promote healthier Happy Meals for children. BUt the intention and advertisement were lost over Twitter users' fear and jokes. Since Happy's recent social media introduction in the U.S., social media users had battered the new character for the past few days.
Happy's job is to "encourage kids to enjoy fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and wholesome beverages such as water or juice," according to McDonald's official press release. The character debuted first in France in 2009, and later appeared in Latin America and other European countries. Happy will make its official arrival in the U.S. on May 23.
McDonald's intention is for the character to get a friendlier reaction from children. Happy plays a part in encouraging children to have more fun in their Happy Meals, which now have healthier food choices like low-fat yogurt, fruits and vegetables.
Happy is one of McDonald's new marketing strategies to improve nutrition in its menus, especially to the food they sell to kids. "McDonald's plans to offer low-fat yogurt as a children's side dish beginning July 4," Bloomberg reported.
In the same report, McDonald's spokesman Kristin Hylek said in an email that they first released Happy on Twitter because "Social media is a great place to have a conversation and express an opinion, but not all comments reflect the broader view."
In McDonald's efforts to introduce a new look of its other characters, Ronald McDonald gets his own makeover as well. His new costume now includes a yellow cargo pants, red blazer and striped rugby shirt.
Here is the picture of Happy and its recent Twitter reactions.
— McDonald's (@McDonalds) May 19, 2014
@applextree @McDonalds I didn't want to sleep tonight anyways, it's cool. — Jamie (@wonkachu) May 19, 2014
@jitka @McDonalds a McStake — damn fine hat (@BromanConsul) May 19, 2014
— Steven Dumas (@stevedumas) May 20, 2014
Here's Happy's video advertisement from France.
CREDIT: McDonald's FR/YouTube
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales