McDonald's New Character 'Happy' Gets Funny Reactions From Social Media Users [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 21, 2014 5:35 PM EST
McDonald's has recently released a new character named Happy, who serves as a new addition to McDonald's Happy Meal team of characters like Grimace and Hamburgler.
A McDonalds fast food restaurant is seen in Toronto, May 1, 2014. About 400,000 people came to Canada under the government's temporary foreign worker program, which is designed to fill jobs for which there are no qualified Canadian candidates. The program has been hugely popular with employers, ballooning from 100,000 workers in 2002. But the backlash against it has also grown as the program, initially designed to help the booming resource industry, has expanded to lower-skilled jobs, especially at restaurant chains such as McDonald's Corp and Tim Hortons Inc. To match Feature CANADA-EMPLOYMENT/TEMPORARY
McDonald's attempt to introduce a new friendly character to the public has raked in negative responses from Twitter and Facebook users. The box-shaped character is complete with "lively" eyes, white rubber-thin arms and legs, gym shoes and a very huge toothy smile.
Happy is designed to promote healthier Happy Meals for children. BUt the intention and advertisement were lost over Twitter users' fear and jokes. Since Happy's recent social media introduction in the U.S., social media users had battered the new character for the past few days.
Happy's job is to "encourage kids to enjoy fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and wholesome beverages such as water or juice," according to McDonald's official press release. The character debuted first in France in 2009, and later appeared in Latin America and other European countries. Happy will make its official arrival in the U.S. on May 23.
McDonald's intention is for the character to get a friendlier reaction from children. Happy plays a part in encouraging children to have more fun in their Happy Meals, which now have healthier food choices like low-fat yogurt, fruits and vegetables.
Happy is one of McDonald's new marketing strategies to improve nutrition in its menus, especially to the food they sell to kids. "McDonald's plans to offer low-fat yogurt as a children's side dish beginning July 4," Bloomberg reported.
In the same report, McDonald's spokesman Kristin Hylek said in an email that they first released Happy on Twitter because "Social media is a great place to have a conversation and express an opinion, but not all comments reflect the broader view."
In McDonald's efforts to introduce a new look of its other characters, Ronald McDonald gets his own makeover as well. His new costume now includes a yellow cargo pants, red blazer and striped rugby shirt.
Here is the picture of Happy and its recent Twitter reactions.
— McDonald's (@McDonalds) May 19, 2014
@applextree @McDonalds I didn't want to sleep tonight anyways, it's cool. — Jamie (@wonkachu) May 19, 2014
@jitka @McDonalds a McStake — damn fine hat (@BromanConsul) May 19, 2014
— Steven Dumas (@stevedumas) May 20, 2014
Here's Happy's video advertisement from France.
CREDIT: McDonald's FR/YouTube
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions