Taylor Swift-Lucky 13 Battle Over Trademark Infringement
By Tanya Diente | May 21, 2014 4:56 PM EST
Taylor Swift's lucky number 13 has unluckily landed her in legal troubles, as she is being sued by Apparel Company Lucky 13 due to trademark infringement.
Taylor Swift arrives at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014.
E! News reported, that the Grammy winner is being sued by the Orange County-based apparel company for infringement. According to the lawsuit, which was filed early Tuesday morning, the singer had used Lucky 13's federally registered trademarks without authority.
Taylor Swift sells merchandise such as t-shirts with "Lucky 13" written on them through her online store.This made Lucky 13 Company owner Robert Kloetzly clearly unhappy. TMZ reported that Kloetzly has been marketing clothes and accessories to a young rock 'n roll crowd since 1991, and he feels that Taylor Swift is stealing his business, by slapping "Lucky 13" on her own clothing line (photo). Kloetzly also claimed to have already contacted the singer's party several times with no resolution.
In the lawsuit, which TMZ had obtained, Taylor Swift is being described by Kloetzly as a singer who likes "fast cars and dangerous men who drive them inappropriately," which unluckily also speaks for the marketing target of the company. Furthermore, Taylor Swift's music video for "I Knew You Were Trouble" could be an ad for the company, because it "depicts stylish, attractive, tattooed individuals in provocative situations." According to the lawsuit, Kloetzly wants Taylor's merchandising site shut down. He also wants all the profits her merchandise has gained so far given to him, or payment for the damages to his company, whichever is greater.
Taylor Swift hasn't made her affinity towards the number 13 a secret. The superstitious number plays a big role in the songstress life and considers it as "not an unlucky number" (photo). She has been seen several times on stage with the number drawn on her hand and her Twitter name includes 13 as well.
The singer had explained the importance of the number 13 to MTV News.
"I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first No. 1 song had a 13-second intro. Every time I've won an award I've been seated in either, the 13th seat, the 13th row, the 13th section or row M, which is the 13th letter," she explained.
Lastly Taylor Swift added that "whenever a 13 comes up in my life, it's a good thing."
Well, apparently not this time with the lawsuit pressed against her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone