Taylor Swift-Lucky 13 Battle Over Trademark Infringement
By Tanya Diente | May 21, 2014 4:56 PM EST
Taylor Swift's lucky number 13 has unluckily landed her in legal troubles, as she is being sued by Apparel Company Lucky 13 due to trademark infringement.
Taylor Swift arrives at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014.
E! News reported, that the Grammy winner is being sued by the Orange County-based apparel company for infringement. According to the lawsuit, which was filed early Tuesday morning, the singer had used Lucky 13's federally registered trademarks without authority.
Taylor Swift sells merchandise such as t-shirts with "Lucky 13" written on them through her online store.This made Lucky 13 Company owner Robert Kloetzly clearly unhappy. TMZ reported that Kloetzly has been marketing clothes and accessories to a young rock 'n roll crowd since 1991, and he feels that Taylor Swift is stealing his business, by slapping "Lucky 13" on her own clothing line (photo). Kloetzly also claimed to have already contacted the singer's party several times with no resolution.
In the lawsuit, which TMZ had obtained, Taylor Swift is being described by Kloetzly as a singer who likes "fast cars and dangerous men who drive them inappropriately," which unluckily also speaks for the marketing target of the company. Furthermore, Taylor Swift's music video for "I Knew You Were Trouble" could be an ad for the company, because it "depicts stylish, attractive, tattooed individuals in provocative situations." According to the lawsuit, Kloetzly wants Taylor's merchandising site shut down. He also wants all the profits her merchandise has gained so far given to him, or payment for the damages to his company, whichever is greater.
Taylor Swift hasn't made her affinity towards the number 13 a secret. The superstitious number plays a big role in the songstress life and considers it as "not an unlucky number" (photo). She has been seen several times on stage with the number drawn on her hand and her Twitter name includes 13 as well.
The singer had explained the importance of the number 13 to MTV News.
"I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first No. 1 song had a 13-second intro. Every time I've won an award I've been seated in either, the 13th seat, the 13th row, the 13th section or row M, which is the 13th letter," she explained.
Lastly Taylor Swift added that "whenever a 13 comes up in my life, it's a good thing."
Well, apparently not this time with the lawsuit pressed against her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'