No Nexus 6 Release Date this 2014: LG G3 & Moto X+1 – 2 Alternatives to Get Instead
By Erik Pineda | May 21, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Nexus 6 release date, according to persistent reports, will not be happening this 2014. In fact not even next year as Google is reportedly focusing instead on project known for now as Android Silver.
Different colored examples of Motorola's new Moto X phones rest on a table at a launch event in New York
Android Silver is touted to produce top of the line devices that run on the Google mobile platform and once it becomes executory, the Nexus line of products will simply be redundant. Target for the project to materialise is 2015.
That same year has been mentioned earlier by tech blogger Eldar Murtazin as the time that the Nexus brand will be retired. But in recent reports, it was suggested that the phasing out period has been advanced and the first casualty of the surprise Google move is the Nexus 6.
This was attested too by well-known gadget news leaker @evleaks in scoops that were circulated last week.
But Nexus devices exiting the market is still too far and remains subject for confirmation by Google. The main concern right now is the Nexus 6. Will Google push through with the original plan or will it be shelved for good?
If the latter is the case, it is good to know that will compelling alternatives out there and they actually inspired chatter at some point that the Nexus 5 sequel will be patterned after them.
The idea that the Nexus 6 will be built with the LG G3 as the base model is a scenario that the Android world will readily embrace. Just consider the specs below that so far are attributed to the upcoming LG flagship:
- A 5.5-inch QHD display in 2560 x 1440 screen pixels
- A 2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor with up to 3GB of RAM
- Basic model that boasts of 32GB storage with microSD slot for extra memory
- 13MP rear camera with OIS and auto-focus technology
- Fingerprint scanner embedded on the aluminium rear power button
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- A removable battery with 3200mAh rating
And the best part about the G3 is would-be buyers will not be waiting too long to play with the gadget as LG is supposed to unveil the device on May 27, which suggests that unboxing or the actual release date is set to happen within June 2014.
However, there is one big concern about the LG G3. As the device is in the same league with the likes of the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and the iPhone 6, it is expected that the pricing will range between $500 and $600.
Obviously the price point is not aligned with the Nexus model but is the price that users have to pay to get a near-Nexus experience this year.
When Motorola became a Lenovo division, talks immediately emerged that the next Nexus mobile phone will be modelled after the Moto X replacement. As the Motorola flagship, the Moto X was clear on its objective - to deliver a device that is stuffed with mid-range components but complemented by native, at least close to it, Android killer features.
There is no reason to believe that the Moto X+1 will deviate from the same approach that according to Motorola worked, specifically in Europe and other key markets. The assumption is, Motorola will bump up the specs and features found on the Moto X so the successor should sport a quad-core Snapdragon chip, a 5-inch screen in 1080p resolution and a 13MP main shooter.
And true to Motorola's goal of serving raw Android, the Moto X+1 is likely powered by Android 4.5 plus the exciting features that the company had introduced last year such as the Google Now-integrated Always On.
Yet really the juiciest part of the whole Moto X+1 package is the price tag, which likely will not go beyond the $400 mark.
Buyers, however, should be more patient as they need to wait until August or September 2014 before they can get their hands on the Moto X+1, the release date of which is set for 'late summer' by Motorola.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around