No Nexus 6 Release Date this 2014: LG G3 & Moto X+1 – 2 Alternatives to Get Instead
By Erik Pineda | May 21, 2014 4:13 PM EST
The Nexus 6 release date, according to persistent reports, will not be happening this 2014. In fact not even next year as Google is reportedly focusing instead on project known for now as Android Silver.
Different colored examples of Motorola's new Moto X phones rest on a table at a launch event in New York
Android Silver is touted to produce top of the line devices that run on the Google mobile platform and once it becomes executory, the Nexus line of products will simply be redundant. Target for the project to materialise is 2015.
That same year has been mentioned earlier by tech blogger Eldar Murtazin as the time that the Nexus brand will be retired. But in recent reports, it was suggested that the phasing out period has been advanced and the first casualty of the surprise Google move is the Nexus 6.
This was attested too by well-known gadget news leaker @evleaks in scoops that were circulated last week.
But Nexus devices exiting the market is still too far and remains subject for confirmation by Google. The main concern right now is the Nexus 6. Will Google push through with the original plan or will it be shelved for good?
If the latter is the case, it is good to know that will compelling alternatives out there and they actually inspired chatter at some point that the Nexus 5 sequel will be patterned after them.
The idea that the Nexus 6 will be built with the LG G3 as the base model is a scenario that the Android world will readily embrace. Just consider the specs below that so far are attributed to the upcoming LG flagship:
- A 5.5-inch QHD display in 2560 x 1440 screen pixels
- A 2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor with up to 3GB of RAM
- Basic model that boasts of 32GB storage with microSD slot for extra memory
- 13MP rear camera with OIS and auto-focus technology
- Fingerprint scanner embedded on the aluminium rear power button
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- A removable battery with 3200mAh rating
And the best part about the G3 is would-be buyers will not be waiting too long to play with the gadget as LG is supposed to unveil the device on May 27, which suggests that unboxing or the actual release date is set to happen within June 2014.
However, there is one big concern about the LG G3. As the device is in the same league with the likes of the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and the iPhone 6, it is expected that the pricing will range between $500 and $600.
Obviously the price point is not aligned with the Nexus model but is the price that users have to pay to get a near-Nexus experience this year.
When Motorola became a Lenovo division, talks immediately emerged that the next Nexus mobile phone will be modelled after the Moto X replacement. As the Motorola flagship, the Moto X was clear on its objective - to deliver a device that is stuffed with mid-range components but complemented by native, at least close to it, Android killer features.
There is no reason to believe that the Moto X+1 will deviate from the same approach that according to Motorola worked, specifically in Europe and other key markets. The assumption is, Motorola will bump up the specs and features found on the Moto X so the successor should sport a quad-core Snapdragon chip, a 5-inch screen in 1080p resolution and a 13MP main shooter.
And true to Motorola's goal of serving raw Android, the Moto X+1 is likely powered by Android 4.5 plus the exciting features that the company had introduced last year such as the Google Now-integrated Always On.
Yet really the juiciest part of the whole Moto X+1 package is the price tag, which likely will not go beyond the $400 mark.
Buyers, however, should be more patient as they need to wait until August or September 2014 before they can get their hands on the Moto X+1, the release date of which is set for 'late summer' by Motorola.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM