‘The Fault in Our Stars’ Author John Green Reveals Shailene Woodley Made Him Cry
By Anne Lu | May 21, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Shailene Woodley has made “The Fault in Our Stars” author John Green cry. The novelist revealed that he was so awed of the 22-year-old actress during her audition for the lead role of his film that he ended up in tears.
Actress Shailene Woodley arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of \"Charles James: Beyond Fashion\" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
In an interview with AAP, Green recalled how Woodley showed him her enthusiasm for nabbing the role of Hazel in the film adaptation of his bestselling novel.
He received an email from the actress before the casting for the film was made.
According to Woodley herself, the letter “basically say, ‘Thank you, and I’m so grateful you were able to write this gift to share with the world,’” she told AAP. “I wanted to make sure this movie was made because my life was transformed by reading the book and the script. I could only imagine how many lives it would transform if it was to be a film.”
But while Green was grateful for the praises, he couldn’t actually do anything for Woodley.
“I responded like, ‘That’s very flattering but I’m not a casting director,’” he said, adding that “It was a very brief response.”
“I didn’t really understand who she was,” the novelist admitted of Woodley, who won awards for her breakthrough performance in “The Descendants” in 2011.
But that quickly changed when he watched Woodley’s audition tape for Hazel. The young star performed a pivotal scene in the book where Hazel said, “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”
“Oh, it just gutted me,” Green revealed. “I was blown away. I was in tears and just so grateful that she had even auditioned for it.”
He added, “I knew it then she was going to be the perfect Hazel.”
In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Green said that he acknowledged the fear of the book’s fans that Woodley wouldn’t be able to pull off the look of a cancer patient, but he knew that the actress was the right choice.
“When I saw Shay walk out of Hazel’s house with the cannula [breathing tube] trailing her oxygen tank, I immediately felt, ‘She’s got this.’”
“The Fault in Our Stars” tells the story of Hazel, a 16-year-old thyroid cancer patient who meets and falls in love with an amputee. It reunites Woodley with her “Divergent” co-star Ansel Elgort.
It is scheduled for release on June 5 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Theo James and Shailene Woodley's Love Story Evolves in 'Insurgent"
- ‘Game of Thrones’ ‘A Song of Ice And Fire’ Ending Guessed By Fans, Jon Snow The Final Hero
- 'Insurgent' Movie Plot Details: Ansel Elgort to Darker Role, Relationship With Beatrice to Change
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Trystane Martell, Five Things To Know About The Prince Betrothed To Myrcella Baratheon
- ‘Game of Thrones’ The Mountain Hailed As Europe’s Strongest Man, Gregor Clegane’s Fate In Season 5 [VIDEO]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region