Order Restored for Defending Champs: Miami Heat Take Game 2 Over Indiana Pacers, East Finals Tied at 1-1
By James Patrick Quizon | May 21, 2014 1:54 PM EST
After doubts were cast on the two-time defending champions to get back to the NBA Finals, order is restored in Miami after LeBron James and Dwyane Wade willed the Miami Heat to a stirring 87-83 victory in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals.
May 20, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade (3) dunks the ball over Indiana Pacers guard George Hill (3) during the second half of game two of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Miami Heat beat the Indiana Pacers 87 to 83.
Trailing 72-75 with 5:33 to go in the payoff period, James and Wade took over down the stretch unleashing a 10-0 outburst to grab the commanding 82-75 advantage with just less than two minutes to go in the game.
The Pacers, never recovered to lose homecourt advantage in this best-of-seven affair.
James and Wade combined for 55 points and the duo was efficient from the field shooting 19-of-34 from the floor. As a team, Heat shot over 50 per cent for the second straight game. Meanwhile, Indiana couldn’t sustain their hot start in the series making just 32-of-80 shots (40%). The Pacers shot 51.5 per cent from the field in their 107-96 victory in Game 1.
The third wheel of the Heat's trio, Chris Bosh had another so-so outing with just 9 points and 6 boards. But the Heat’s reserves outscored the Pacers’, 20-9 in this low scoring affair. Back-up point guard Norris Cole made key contributions and hustle plays and ended up with 11 points perfect 2-of-2 from the three-point line.
Like in Game 1, all Pacers starters finished in double-figure scoring. This time however David West (5-of-16 FG) and Paul George (4-of-16 FG) struggled from the floor for 10 and 14 points, respectively. Lance Stephenson continued his good play with 25 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists.
The teams get a long break after this game and series shifts to Miami for Game 3 set on Saturday (Sunday morning Australia).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation