Coldplay Launches New Album in UCLA, Opening Day Sales Sky Rocket
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 21, 2014 1:51 PM EST
Coldplay staged an intimate concert on May 20 to celebrate the release of their new album "Ghost Stories." The event was staged at the Royce Hall and fans flocked to the venue several hours before the show with a good number of them still looking for ways to score a ticket to the sold-out show.
Combo picture of singer Chris Martin of Coldplay performing during a concert as part of their "Viva La Vida" tour in Barcelona September 4, 2009 and actress Gwyneth Paltrow posing during the premiere of her film "Iron Man" in Berlin April 22, 2008.
Coldplay's latest album is thought to contain a plethora of break up songs inspired by lead singer and song writer Chris Martin's recent split with actress Gwyneth Paltrow. After a decade of marriage, the two stars announced their decision to split in March this year.
A single ticket was selling online for up to $1,000 and fans were trying their luck with the last minute scalpers on site. High demand for tickets to the show could be an indication of the success of the album although many less than stellar reviews have come out
"'Ghost Stories' is restrained and less grandiose, yet very self-conscious, like the band ist rying to sound different. Chris Martin's pain doesn't make for great breakup songs," says Andrew Romano of The Daily Beast.
"But you can't do what Martin does on much of Ghost Stories, which is assume your pain is resonant just because it's yours. Sure, the singer tells us about the "tattoo" he got that "said 'together through life'" and laments that it "used to be you here beside me," "late night watching TV." But these phrases are too pat to surprise us-to feel suddenly right, as if they've somehow captured a feeling we never quite realized we had," added Romano.
"There's nothing wrong with restraint, but coming from Coldplay, it's a bit like paying to see a famous motivational speaker who's decided to treat his audience to two hours of meditative chimes," says Derek Thompson of The Atlantic and calls it the most forgettable Coldplay album ever.
Despite the scalding reviews, it seems like the album is doing well as can be seen by the long lines outside the launch. At the end of the day, sales will speak for itself. Following its release on May 19, "Ghost Stories" looks to be well on its way to breaking the UK's 2014 sales speed record and racked up the biggest opening day of the year.
Release day sales reached 82,000 units and overtook Paolo Nutini's previous record of 44,000 units.If things stay on course, the band will be on their way to securing a sixth Number 1 Album following previous bestsellers "Parachutes," "A Rush of Blood To The Head," "X&Y," "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," and Mylo Xyloto.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans