Coldplay Launches New Album in UCLA, Opening Day Sales Sky Rocket
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 21, 2014 1:51 PM EST
Coldplay staged an intimate concert on May 20 to celebrate the release of their new album "Ghost Stories." The event was staged at the Royce Hall and fans flocked to the venue several hours before the show with a good number of them still looking for ways to score a ticket to the sold-out show.
Combo picture of singer Chris Martin of Coldplay performing during a concert as part of their "Viva La Vida" tour in Barcelona September 4, 2009 and actress Gwyneth Paltrow posing during the premiere of her film "Iron Man" in Berlin April 22, 2008.
Coldplay's latest album is thought to contain a plethora of break up songs inspired by lead singer and song writer Chris Martin's recent split with actress Gwyneth Paltrow. After a decade of marriage, the two stars announced their decision to split in March this year.
A single ticket was selling online for up to $1,000 and fans were trying their luck with the last minute scalpers on site. High demand for tickets to the show could be an indication of the success of the album although many less than stellar reviews have come out
"'Ghost Stories' is restrained and less grandiose, yet very self-conscious, like the band ist rying to sound different. Chris Martin's pain doesn't make for great breakup songs," says Andrew Romano of The Daily Beast.
"But you can't do what Martin does on much of Ghost Stories, which is assume your pain is resonant just because it's yours. Sure, the singer tells us about the "tattoo" he got that "said 'together through life'" and laments that it "used to be you here beside me," "late night watching TV." But these phrases are too pat to surprise us-to feel suddenly right, as if they've somehow captured a feeling we never quite realized we had," added Romano.
"There's nothing wrong with restraint, but coming from Coldplay, it's a bit like paying to see a famous motivational speaker who's decided to treat his audience to two hours of meditative chimes," says Derek Thompson of The Atlantic and calls it the most forgettable Coldplay album ever.
Despite the scalding reviews, it seems like the album is doing well as can be seen by the long lines outside the launch. At the end of the day, sales will speak for itself. Following its release on May 19, "Ghost Stories" looks to be well on its way to breaking the UK's 2014 sales speed record and racked up the biggest opening day of the year.
Release day sales reached 82,000 units and overtook Paolo Nutini's previous record of 44,000 units.If things stay on course, the band will be on their way to securing a sixth Number 1 Album following previous bestsellers "Parachutes," "A Rush of Blood To The Head," "X&Y," "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," and Mylo Xyloto.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar