'Game of Thrones' 'The Mountain' Competed for 'World's Strongest Man' - Showcases Real-Life Physical Strength [VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 21, 2014 1:51 PM EST
One of "Game of Thrones'" most feared men "The Mountain" proves to be physically strong no only in Westeros, but also in real life. The new Mountain, Hafþór "Thor" Júlíus Björnsson, made his first debut on GoT's "Mockingbird" episode last Sunday night. Hafthor Bjornsson is set to act as Cersei Lanniser's (Lena Headey) champion in Tyrion's trial-by-combat.
Hafthor Bjornsson stands 6"9 ft, weighs 419 pounds, and is just 25 years old. Bjornsson who hails from Iceland, is just one of the many strongmen in their country who regularly participates in strength competitions. Due to his massive physique and strength, reports say he consumes a daliy 10,000-calorie diet when he is training. He is the third recast for The Mountain in GoT and he just made his first appearance on Sunday night's episode.
Last year, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay even planned on signing the Icelandic giant to his team before the NFL Draft. Bjornsson declined the offer because, "Unfortunately, knee injuries have derailed Bjornsson's attempts to play contact sports. Randall J. Strossen of IronMind.com reports that the Icelandic giant played basketball before blowing out his knee and switching to weightlifting and strength competitions," reported Bleacher Report.
Bjornsson, having knee injuries resorted to another career and sport. He proved his overwhelming strength on and off screen as he recently joined the "World's Strongest Man" this year. "Björnssonj was 0.44 seconds away from winning the overall competition and settled for second place. He finished third place in 2012 and 2013," reported USA Today's For The Win.
During pre-taping of GoT's season 4, Bjornsson was seen in videos doing strength-training workouts in preparation both for the show and the Strongman competition. Bjornsson's strength was very notable that he appeared in several videos making new World Records.
Watch some of The Mountain's videos below.
That giant dude from GoT is an actual Icelandic World's Strongest Man contestant. Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. pic.twitter.com/SJHWsRARPP — Mark Armstrong (@ArmstrongABC11) May 19, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date