NFL News: Minnesota Awarded 2018 Super Bowl
By James Patrick Quizon | May 21, 2014 11:20 AM EST
With a $1 billion stadium already under construction and set to be finished by 2016, the National Football League (NFL) owners have awarded the 2018 Super Bowl to Minnesota winning over other candidates like New Orleans and Indianapolis on Tuesday.
Minnesota was confirmed as hosts after the final round of voting by the owners of the league in Atlanta. New Orleans finished second in the voting and Indianapolis third.
The 2018 NFL championship game or Super Bowl LLII will be played in the domed facility on the site of the old Metrodome in Minneapolis. The new stadium can seat 65,500 and can be expanded to 72,000.
"We appreciate the collaborative effort from Minnesota's business and community leadership in putting together this winning bid," said Minnesota Vikings owner and president Mark Wilf in the team’s official website. "It was evident to me and my brother Zygi that the other NFL owners were extremely impressed with everything Minnesota had to offer, and we have no doubt they will be even more excited with what the community will deliver in February 2018."
"We're very proud to host Super Bowl LII. It'll be an exciting time. I know we'll do a great job and we'll be proud. Working very hard right now to build a world-class venue," Wilf also said via ESPN.com.
“With a clear ETFE roof and five of the largest glass pivoting doors in the world, fans will experience an outdoor feel in a climate-controlled environment,” was the short description of the new venue in the Vikings website.
Here’s a preview of the venue via the Vikings official Twitter account:
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) May 20, 2014
America’s most popular title game will return to Minnesota after 26 years. In 1992, the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills, 37-24 in the Metrodome in Super Bowl XXVI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate