NFL News: Minnesota Awarded 2018 Super Bowl
By James Patrick Quizon | May 21, 2014 11:20 AM EST
With a $1 billion stadium already under construction and set to be finished by 2016, the National Football League (NFL) owners have awarded the 2018 Super Bowl to Minnesota winning over other candidates like New Orleans and Indianapolis on Tuesday.
Minnesota was confirmed as hosts after the final round of voting by the owners of the league in Atlanta. New Orleans finished second in the voting and Indianapolis third.
The 2018 NFL championship game or Super Bowl LLII will be played in the domed facility on the site of the old Metrodome in Minneapolis. The new stadium can seat 65,500 and can be expanded to 72,000.
"We appreciate the collaborative effort from Minnesota's business and community leadership in putting together this winning bid," said Minnesota Vikings owner and president Mark Wilf in the team’s official website. "It was evident to me and my brother Zygi that the other NFL owners were extremely impressed with everything Minnesota had to offer, and we have no doubt they will be even more excited with what the community will deliver in February 2018."
"We're very proud to host Super Bowl LII. It'll be an exciting time. I know we'll do a great job and we'll be proud. Working very hard right now to build a world-class venue," Wilf also said via ESPN.com.
“With a clear ETFE roof and five of the largest glass pivoting doors in the world, fans will experience an outdoor feel in a climate-controlled environment,” was the short description of the new venue in the Vikings website.
Here’s a preview of the venue via the Vikings official Twitter account:
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) May 20, 2014
America’s most popular title game will return to Minnesota after 26 years. In 1992, the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills, 37-24 in the Metrodome in Super Bowl XXVI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]