NFL News: Minnesota Awarded 2018 Super Bowl
By James Patrick Quizon | May 21, 2014 11:20 AM EST
With a $1 billion stadium already under construction and set to be finished by 2016, the National Football League (NFL) owners have awarded the 2018 Super Bowl to Minnesota winning over other candidates like New Orleans and Indianapolis on Tuesday.
Minnesota was confirmed as hosts after the final round of voting by the owners of the league in Atlanta. New Orleans finished second in the voting and Indianapolis third.
The 2018 NFL championship game or Super Bowl LLII will be played in the domed facility on the site of the old Metrodome in Minneapolis. The new stadium can seat 65,500 and can be expanded to 72,000.
"We appreciate the collaborative effort from Minnesota's business and community leadership in putting together this winning bid," said Minnesota Vikings owner and president Mark Wilf in the team’s official website. "It was evident to me and my brother Zygi that the other NFL owners were extremely impressed with everything Minnesota had to offer, and we have no doubt they will be even more excited with what the community will deliver in February 2018."
"We're very proud to host Super Bowl LII. It'll be an exciting time. I know we'll do a great job and we'll be proud. Working very hard right now to build a world-class venue," Wilf also said via ESPN.com.
“With a clear ETFE roof and five of the largest glass pivoting doors in the world, fans will experience an outdoor feel in a climate-controlled environment,” was the short description of the new venue in the Vikings website.
Here’s a preview of the venue via the Vikings official Twitter account:
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) May 20, 2014
America’s most popular title game will return to Minnesota after 26 years. In 1992, the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills, 37-24 in the Metrodome in Super Bowl XXVI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6