NFL News: Minnesota Awarded 2018 Super Bowl
By James Patrick Quizon | May 21, 2014 11:20 AM EST
With a $1 billion stadium already under construction and set to be finished by 2016, the National Football League (NFL) owners have awarded the 2018 Super Bowl to Minnesota winning over other candidates like New Orleans and Indianapolis on Tuesday.
Minnesota was confirmed as hosts after the final round of voting by the owners of the league in Atlanta. New Orleans finished second in the voting and Indianapolis third.
The 2018 NFL championship game or Super Bowl LLII will be played in the domed facility on the site of the old Metrodome in Minneapolis. The new stadium can seat 65,500 and can be expanded to 72,000.
"We appreciate the collaborative effort from Minnesota's business and community leadership in putting together this winning bid," said Minnesota Vikings owner and president Mark Wilf in the team’s official website. "It was evident to me and my brother Zygi that the other NFL owners were extremely impressed with everything Minnesota had to offer, and we have no doubt they will be even more excited with what the community will deliver in February 2018."
"We're very proud to host Super Bowl LII. It'll be an exciting time. I know we'll do a great job and we'll be proud. Working very hard right now to build a world-class venue," Wilf also said via ESPN.com.
“With a clear ETFE roof and five of the largest glass pivoting doors in the world, fans will experience an outdoor feel in a climate-controlled environment,” was the short description of the new venue in the Vikings website.
Here’s a preview of the venue via the Vikings official Twitter account:
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) May 20, 2014
America’s most popular title game will return to Minnesota after 26 years. In 1992, the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills, 37-24 in the Metrodome in Super Bowl XXVI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports