11-Year-Old Lucy Li Qualifies For U.S. Women's Open, Creates History by Becoming Youngest Player
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 21, 2014 8:45 AM EST
Lucy Li becomes the youngest player in the history of the U.S. Women's Open to qualify for the golf competition. She won the sectional qualifier at Half Moon Bay in California.
Dave Cordero of TaylorMade putts into a 15-inch inch hole at his company's golf facility in Carlsbad, California May 9, 2014. According to the National Golf Foundation (NGF), the sport has lost five million players in the United States in the past decade and 20 percent of the 25 million golfers now active in the country are likely to quit in the next few years. Golf, though, is responding to its own warning cries of 'Fore' by thinking outside of the time-honoured traditions of the game that was invented in Scotland in the late 15th century as it faces arguably its biggest struggle for survival in the 21st. Among the innovations: soccer balls instead of a dimpled Titleist or Callaway; golf holes with a 15-inch diameter that look more like a bucket than the traditional cup; the ability for players to clock in and out of rounds and thereby pay for as long as they are on the course. Picture taken May 9, 2014.
The 11-year-old prodigy carded rounds of 74 and 68 on the par-72 Old Course on Monday, May 19. She is going to surpass Lexi Thompson who held the earlier record as the youngest players in the U.S. Women's Open. She was 12 when she had qualified for the 2007 competition. Li will is scheduled to play her first game at Pinehurst on June 19 to achieve the feat officially, Huffington Post reported.
Li, at the age of 10, qualified for the US Women's Amateur Public Links in 2013. She won from her age section of the inaugural Drive, Chip and Putt Championship at Augusta before the Masters had been held. Thompson, on the other hand, is ranked 6th in the world. At present, she is just 19. However, she has already managed to win six professional events which included a major one named the 2014 Kraft Nabisco Championship. Another young playe,r Morgan Pressel, was 12 when she played in the U.S. Open in 2001. She has won five professional tournaments as well, The Guardian reported.
Li may take a few lessons from Michelle Wie who failed to rise up to the high expectations after she had started her career at Li's age. Wie, now 24, has a decent professional career at the moment. Her development as a professional was apparently harmed by the premature excitement surrounding her. Iconic golfers like Tiger Woods became a professional golfer only at the age of 20. Guan Tianlang became the youngest Masters participant, breaking the record set by Italian golfer Matteo Manassero who made another record earlier by becoming the youngest winner of the PGA Championship at Wentworth.
ESPN reported that Li would not be the youngest player to "participate" in the U.S. Women's Open. It was Beverly Klass who competed in the tournament at the age of 10 in 1967. She took part in the competition prior to the qualification process.
The U.S. Women's Open starts on June 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]