HTC One Mini 2 Vs. HTC One M8
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 20, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Taiwanese manufacturer HTC Corporation recently unveiled the next generation of their One smart phones which comes in a smaller package. So how does HTC One Mini 2 fare with its predecessor HTC One M8 which was launched just last March?
HTC CEO Peter Chou shows the new HTC One M8 phone during a launch event in New York March 25, 2014. The HTC One M8 has a 5-inch display, slightly larger than its predecessor, as well as improved camera technology, a faster processor and updated software, the company said.
At the first glance, the very noticeable difference between the two smart gadgets is the size but they have similar look. As the name suggests, HTC One Mini 2 is several notches smaller in built than the predecessor model. According to What Mobile, One Mini 2 only weighs 137 grams with a dimension of 137.43 x 65.04 x 10.6mm while the M8 version weighs 160 grams with 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35mm max dimension. Except for the plastic border around the screen of the compact model, both units use the same aluminum back and the same color options for users to choose from.
ZD Net revealed that from the 4 megapixels rear facing camera and 5 megapixel front facing camera in One M8, the One Mini 2 combines the camera's power into a 13 megapixel rear facing camera. The duo camera M8 is capable of shooting faster and sharper images with decent results while the Mini 2 provides better output than its bigger version. Both versions can record high definition videos with their cameras.
Given its smaller build, HTC One Mini 2 has a slightly smaller display of only 4.5 inches 720p while the M8 version has 5 inches 1080p display. The slight difference will not matter a lot though as users can see clearly enough what's being displayed on the LCD screen.
While both versions run on Android 4.4.2 with Sense 6, the One Mini 2 has also downgraded its processor to jus7 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 and 1 GB RAM compared to the M8 version which has 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 and 2 GB RAM inside. The performance of the bigger brother is comparable to iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy S4 mini while the performance of the smaller version is comparable to Motorola Moto G.
Both the HTC One Mini 2 and HTC M8 have 16GB internal storage capacity. They are also capable of up to 128 GB storage capacity using a micro SD card.
Network and Connectivity
The bigger version has a slightly better Wi-Fi connectivity for it can stretch to the 802.11ac standard. Other than that, both the large and compact versions have 2G/3G/4G LTE networks and GPS and Bluetooth connectivity.
In an article from The Verge, HTC CEO Peter Chou stated the following words during the unveiling of HTC Mini 2: "the perfect choice for those who love the iconic design of the HTC One (M8) yet want something more compact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones