Coldplay 'Ghost Stories' Ode To Gwyneth Paltrow
By Tanya Diente | May 20, 2014 4:15 PM EST
Coldplay has come out with their new album called "Ghost Stories". The track listing for the album was announced on March 3, almost three weeks before Chris Martin and wife Gwyneth Paltrow announced their separation. According to ABCnews, "Ghost Stories" is a breakup album that deals with love and loss in generalities rather than specifics. The lyrics of the songs suggest Martin's attempt to escape the ghosts in his path, but never digs too deep to describe his heartache, as it is being surrounded with the digital drone of synthesizers.
Chris Martin from Coldplay performs during the Under 1 Roof charity show at the O2 arena in Greenwich, London on December 10, 2011.
According to a recent BBC radio interview, Chris Martin didn't deny the influence the divorce had on the album, admitting that if "you don't let love in then you can't really give it back." "Ghost Stories" means "you've got to open yourself up to love, and if you really do, of course it will be painful at times, but then it will be great at some point."
News.au decoded the lyrics of the album's songs in relation to Chris Martin's divorce from wife Gwyneth Paltrow.
Title: "Always in my head"
"And so my mouth waters to be fed"
This is the opening track that could be a metaphor for Martin's emotional famine after the divorce, or an actual hunger under Gwyneth's strict diet of no gluten.
Title: "True Love"
"And I wish you could have let me know/ What's really going on below ... Tell me you love me/If you don't then lie"
Chris Martin pays reference to Leonard Cohen's sexually charged lyrics to "Hallelujah" before begging his lover for fake affection. Horny and needy is a not a good combination for Martin's OKCupid profile according to News.au.
Title: "Another Arms"
"When the pain just rips right through me/Another's arms another's arms/And that's just torture to me/Another's arms another's arms"
Since the couple had announced their mutual separation, rumours attributed the cause to infidelity on both parties.This track seems to address that rumour, but stops to reveal who is to blame.
"You've got to find yourself alone in this world/You've got to find yourself alone"
This upbeat lyric toward the end of the album hints at a future discovery where he will no longer "crave" for his past with Gwyneth.
Most of Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" album was created by producer Paul Epworth, who is best known for his Grammy-and-Oscar-winning-work with Adele and Foster the People. "Ghost Stories" has a hint of piano, guitar or percussion, with its soft focus on the words and music likened to a sterile gauze to treat a wounded heart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage