Coldplay 'Ghost Stories' Ode To Gwyneth Paltrow
By Tanya Diente | May 20, 2014 4:15 PM EST
Coldplay has come out with their new album called "Ghost Stories". The track listing for the album was announced on March 3, almost three weeks before Chris Martin and wife Gwyneth Paltrow announced their separation. According to ABCnews, "Ghost Stories" is a breakup album that deals with love and loss in generalities rather than specifics. The lyrics of the songs suggest Martin's attempt to escape the ghosts in his path, but never digs too deep to describe his heartache, as it is being surrounded with the digital drone of synthesizers.
Chris Martin from Coldplay performs during the Under 1 Roof charity show at the O2 arena in Greenwich, London on December 10, 2011.
According to a recent BBC radio interview, Chris Martin didn't deny the influence the divorce had on the album, admitting that if "you don't let love in then you can't really give it back." "Ghost Stories" means "you've got to open yourself up to love, and if you really do, of course it will be painful at times, but then it will be great at some point."
News.au decoded the lyrics of the album's songs in relation to Chris Martin's divorce from wife Gwyneth Paltrow.
Title: "Always in my head"
"And so my mouth waters to be fed"
This is the opening track that could be a metaphor for Martin's emotional famine after the divorce, or an actual hunger under Gwyneth's strict diet of no gluten.
Title: "True Love"
"And I wish you could have let me know/ What's really going on below ... Tell me you love me/If you don't then lie"
Chris Martin pays reference to Leonard Cohen's sexually charged lyrics to "Hallelujah" before begging his lover for fake affection. Horny and needy is a not a good combination for Martin's OKCupid profile according to News.au.
Title: "Another Arms"
"When the pain just rips right through me/Another's arms another's arms/And that's just torture to me/Another's arms another's arms"
Since the couple had announced their mutual separation, rumours attributed the cause to infidelity on both parties.This track seems to address that rumour, but stops to reveal who is to blame.
"You've got to find yourself alone in this world/You've got to find yourself alone"
This upbeat lyric toward the end of the album hints at a future discovery where he will no longer "crave" for his past with Gwyneth.
Most of Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" album was created by producer Paul Epworth, who is best known for his Grammy-and-Oscar-winning-work with Adele and Foster the People. "Ghost Stories" has a hint of piano, guitar or percussion, with its soft focus on the words and music likened to a sterile gauze to treat a wounded heart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display