Android Smartphones and Tablets: 7 Tips and Tricks to Recharge Battery Faster and Better
By Ryan Inoyori | May 20, 2014 3:51 PM EST
Smartphones and tablets can take several hours before reaching full battery which is frustrating. In order to help out users who are always on the run, here are some tips to make recharging faster and better without endangering your device.
Airplane mode helps recharging faster by preventing continuous signal search and data transfer from wireless radios. Moreover, turning off your phone will improve charging speed dramatically since the device is not doing anything except to recharge.
Use the Charger
Some people prefer using USB ports in order to charge their devices using a computer but USB 2.0 delivers only half of the power supplied by charging ports. In technical terms, USB 2.0 outputs 0.5 ampere while USB 3.0 raises it to 0.9 which are not enough for the usual 1 ampere demand on smartphones and 2 ampere on tablets.
Alternatively, you can use tablet chargers for your smartphone to speed up recharging. If you don't have any tablets around, buy a wall charger to improve recharging speed of your smartphone. These chargers will not cause any explosion but may heat up your device due to faster power input, so turn off the device for a while.
Dual-Wired USB Port
Some USB cables have two ports which drains twice as much power compared to conventional USB cables. It is handy if you cannot find additional sockets or nearby charging ports.
Computer USB Software
ASUS made the AI charger software that enables the computer motherboard to generate more power when a mobile device is attached for recharging. It is commonly used for Apple devices such as iPad, iPod and iPhone but according to their official Web site it can support selected Android models such as Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5.
USB Charge Booster
ChargeDr is a type of USB charge booster which enables a computer to boost power output. It is capable of recharging smartphones or iPhone two times faster and four times faster on tablets or iPad. However, the hardware add-on will cost you $20 each.
Re-calibration of the battery in regular phases can correct battery statistics appearing on your device. Calibration can be done manually or automatically provided you have the app and root access.
1. Manual calibration is simple but time consuming. Drain the battery until it switches off then recharge up to full without interruption. It is suggested to drain battery using normal methods such as high brightness and longer time-out once it reaches five per cent to prevent damaging the reserved energy.
2. Automatic calibration requires root access for Android and apps are available for free at the Play Store. It is the same with manual except the app will notify when the device reaches full battery.
No matter how much care you do for the battery, its performance will decrease eventually as age, heat and recharge cycle affect overall battery health.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact Gets Certified For 23.0.1.A.1.43, Xperia Z3 Dual For 23.0.F.1.82
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Gets A New Trailer And Hidden Demo Missions
- Check Out The ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ Ranking, New Anniversary Trailer And Level Walkthroughs
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists