Global Warming: Growing Number of Forest Fires Aggravate Accelerated Melting of Greenland Ice
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 20, 2014 3:49 PM EST
A research newly released on Monday has disclosed that the growing number of forest fires in the Northern Hemisphere not only boosted the world's temperatures but also aggravated the accelerated melting of the ice glaciers in Greenland.
An aerial view of the Nord Glacier in East Greenland is seen during a NASA Operation IceBridge survey flight on April 5, 2014.
Greenland got dumped by a dark layer in 2012 spurred by thick clouds of soot from forest blazes in Siberia and North America. It forced the region to absorb more of the sun's heat.
The second largest body of ice after Antarctica's, ice in Greenland is already thawing, further contributing to rising world sea levels.
"Warmer temperatures and more frequent Northern Hemisphere forest fires driven by climate change may increase the frequency of these widespread melt events, contributing to the further demise of the Greenland ice sheet," the scientists wrote in the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
What's more worrisome, the widespread melt events "may begin to occur almost annually by the end of (the) century," according to Kaitlin Keegan of Dartmouth College in New Hampshire and lead study author.
"Our data shows that currently you need both warm temperatures and black carbon in order to cause melting at the surface of the centre of the Greenland ice sheet," Keegan noted.
The chemical composition of the soot, Keegan told Reuters, did not come from industrial pollution from factories, power plants or vehicles but from forest fires.
According to the U.N., Greenland lost ice equivalent to about 8 millimetres of world sea levels in the past two decades. The year 2012 gave off the highest record.
Sea levels would elevate by 7 metres once all of Greenland's ice melted.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS