Researcher @i0n1c Reveals Working iPhone iOS 7.1.1 Jailbreak, Possible Release to Public Soon
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 20, 2014 3:45 PM EST
However, the possibility that the iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak will go on public might be slim. Although, Esser has been an active contributing member to the jailbreak community, it is possible that he used something like a signed app to achieve his jailbreak, which makes it unusable to the public.
On the other hand, the jailbreak remains interesting as it appears to use newer exploits than modern jailbreaks usually employ. Esser claimed that, "
The jailbreak is, however, somewhat interesting in the fact that it seems to use newer exploits than most modern jailbreaks typically employ. According to Esser, "That iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak is not based on a long vulnerability chain. It uses a single beautiful kernel bug that goes from mobile to kernel."
However, when questioned by @MuscleNerd, Esser explained that jailbreak was not achieved as simple as it initially sounded.
"The untethering part is a separate bug. I was speaking about no complicated chain of tricks to break out of sandbox first then work around the mounting problem, I just use a plain and simple mobile to kernel exploit that can disable all sec features and works from any container."
Thus far, even though Esser's iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak will not go to public, its existence indicates that an iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak for the public is highly possible and there is a chance that we will be seeing the jailbreak anytime soon.
According to Esser, he is currently working and searching for solutions to make the iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak public.
Coincidentally, shortly after Esser's tweet, a different hacker known as @Winocm also revealed an iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak on an iPhone 4, which is an older device that is still jailbreakable. He noted that the solution might be ported to newer iOS devices if someone is willing to "put in the effort."
Meanwhile, it is interesting to see how other jailbreak developers would react to Esser's iOS 7.1.1 jailbreak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation