2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Best View Camelopardalids Meteor Shower Peak on May 23 and 24
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 20, 2014 3:29 PM EST
The 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower is set to offer viewers with a bright sky display when it peaks on May 23 and 24 as planet Earth moves through the Comet 209P/Linear debris. Residents of the United Arab Emirates are assured to witness the initial meteor shower display that can reach up to 1,000 meteors per hour.
"This potential new shower is so new that astronomers aren't sure what to expect. Predictions run from less than 100 meteors per hour up to an unlikely but possible meteor storm as high as 1,000 per hour," narrator Jane Houston Jones stated in the skywatching video that NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California released.
The Dubai Astronomy Group (DAG) will host a public event for the 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower on the Friday evening, May 23. "Based on professional forecasts, this meteor shower could turn out to be a unique meteor storm. A meteor storm could see dense outbursts of bright multiple meteors and provide in excess of 1,000 shooting stars an hour during its peak. Lowest expectation would be 60-100 meteors an hour. You won't want to miss this," the Dubai Astronomy Group stated in the Emirates 24/7 report.
The upcoming DAG event location will be at the Bab Al Shams Desert Resort and Spa in Dubai. The event will start on Friday, May 23, at 9 pm and it will end on the crack of dawn of Saturday, May 24.
The event will be providing visitors the chance to view the sky display with the club telescopes, live presentations, videos about the night sky, online broadcasts to the wider international astronomy community and the collaboration with the Astronomers without Borders featuring live links between Dubai and California.
Additionally, the DAG event will be supporting the Slooh Telescopes global broadcast and include the periodic "Live Google+ Hangouts On Air" for those who are unable to be a part of the experience. According to the Khaleej Times report, the sky watchers who did not make it to the event can still observe the 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower peak provided that they find a spot away from the bright city lights.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Meteor Shower: Potential New Meteor Shower Coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR to Peak on May 23 and 24? - [READ]
Viral Video Rebecca Grant: TV Host Receives Social Media Attention for 'Boob-Grabbing' Video at Clippers Game and 'On-Air Whoopsie' Video [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports