2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Best View Camelopardalids Meteor Shower Peak on May 23 and 24
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 20, 2014 3:29 PM EST
The 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower is set to offer viewers with a bright sky display when it peaks on May 23 and 24 as planet Earth moves through the Comet 209P/Linear debris. Residents of the United Arab Emirates are assured to witness the initial meteor shower display that can reach up to 1,000 meteors per hour.
"This potential new shower is so new that astronomers aren't sure what to expect. Predictions run from less than 100 meteors per hour up to an unlikely but possible meteor storm as high as 1,000 per hour," narrator Jane Houston Jones stated in the skywatching video that NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California released.
The Dubai Astronomy Group (DAG) will host a public event for the 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower on the Friday evening, May 23. "Based on professional forecasts, this meteor shower could turn out to be a unique meteor storm. A meteor storm could see dense outbursts of bright multiple meteors and provide in excess of 1,000 shooting stars an hour during its peak. Lowest expectation would be 60-100 meteors an hour. You won't want to miss this," the Dubai Astronomy Group stated in the Emirates 24/7 report.
The upcoming DAG event location will be at the Bab Al Shams Desert Resort and Spa in Dubai. The event will start on Friday, May 23, at 9 pm and it will end on the crack of dawn of Saturday, May 24.
The event will be providing visitors the chance to view the sky display with the club telescopes, live presentations, videos about the night sky, online broadcasts to the wider international astronomy community and the collaboration with the Astronomers without Borders featuring live links between Dubai and California.
Additionally, the DAG event will be supporting the Slooh Telescopes global broadcast and include the periodic "Live Google+ Hangouts On Air" for those who are unable to be a part of the experience. According to the Khaleej Times report, the sky watchers who did not make it to the event can still observe the 2014 Camelopardalids meteor shower peak provided that they find a spot away from the bright city lights.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Meteor Shower: Potential New Meteor Shower Coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR to Peak on May 23 and 24? - [READ]
Viral Video Rebecca Grant: TV Host Receives Social Media Attention for 'Boob-Grabbing' Video at Clippers Game and 'On-Air Whoopsie' Video [WATCH] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install