‘Shortland Street’ Star Teuila Blakely Receives Death Threats Following Sex Tape Leak
By Anne Lu | May 20, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Kiwi TV actress Teuila Blakely has hit back at the Pacific Island community for bullying her after her sex tape with New Zealand Warriors rugby league player Konrad Hurrell was leaked on the Internet.
The 39-year-old “Shortland Street” star has faced backlash from the conservative society after footage of her performing fellatio on Hurrell in a car was uploaded online earlier in May.
“I’ve had requests from Samoa for me and my whole family to commit suicide. People wish I would die and they would never hear from me because I’m an ‘uneducated slut,’” she told TVNZ.
Hurrell, who took the video, was fined $5000 by the club, and was ordered to undergo counselling on the use of social media. The Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said that the 22-year-old player was “full of remorse” over the incident.
However, it appears that it’s Blakely who appears to bear the brunt of the scandal, with the Pacific Island communities out to shame her for the leaked video.
“And I feel like what has interested the public, the Pacific public, is the fact that they have an opportunity to shame a woman a woman for being sexual,” she said.
“What upsets me is the way they are voicing those judgments. It’s like they’re being so cruel. And, you know, I haven’t killed anybody.”
Blakely has previously addressed the scandal after admitting that she was the woman in the clip, saying that she was positive that everyone would move on from the issue eventually.
“I know this has caused a lot of pain, humiliation and embarrassment to those closest to me, especially my family and to the Samoan community. Here, in New Zealand, Samoa and overseas,” she wrote on her Facebook.
“I know that this is difficult for some of you to extend to me the same kind of understanding and I fully accept that, as well as everything else I am currently facing.
“I hope that at some point we will all move on from this in a positive way as life is too far short to be lived in any other way.”
South Pacific Pictures, the production company of “Shortland Street,” refused to comment on the actress’ involvement in the sex scandal, saying it was a personal matter, not professional.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money