‘Shortland Street’ Star Teuila Blakely Receives Death Threats Following Sex Tape Leak
By Anne Lu | May 20, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Kiwi TV actress Teuila Blakely has hit back at the Pacific Island community for bullying her after her sex tape with New Zealand Warriors rugby league player Konrad Hurrell was leaked on the Internet.
The 39-year-old “Shortland Street” star has faced backlash from the conservative society after footage of her performing fellatio on Hurrell in a car was uploaded online earlier in May.
“I’ve had requests from Samoa for me and my whole family to commit suicide. People wish I would die and they would never hear from me because I’m an ‘uneducated slut,’” she told TVNZ.
Hurrell, who took the video, was fined $5000 by the club, and was ordered to undergo counselling on the use of social media. The Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said that the 22-year-old player was “full of remorse” over the incident.
However, it appears that it’s Blakely who appears to bear the brunt of the scandal, with the Pacific Island communities out to shame her for the leaked video.
“And I feel like what has interested the public, the Pacific public, is the fact that they have an opportunity to shame a woman a woman for being sexual,” she said.
“What upsets me is the way they are voicing those judgments. It’s like they’re being so cruel. And, you know, I haven’t killed anybody.”
Blakely has previously addressed the scandal after admitting that she was the woman in the clip, saying that she was positive that everyone would move on from the issue eventually.
“I know this has caused a lot of pain, humiliation and embarrassment to those closest to me, especially my family and to the Samoan community. Here, in New Zealand, Samoa and overseas,” she wrote on her Facebook.
“I know that this is difficult for some of you to extend to me the same kind of understanding and I fully accept that, as well as everything else I am currently facing.
“I hope that at some point we will all move on from this in a positive way as life is too far short to be lived in any other way.”
South Pacific Pictures, the production company of “Shortland Street,” refused to comment on the actress’ involvement in the sex scandal, saying it was a personal matter, not professional.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff