Apple Original Rainbow Logo to Be Auctioned in New York
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 20, 2014 11:15 AM EST
The original Apple logo with rainbow colours is going for auction in June 2014. The logo was used by the company from 1976 to 1997.
It is the auction house Bonhams that obtained a couple of Apple rainbow logo boards which used to hang outside the Apple headquarters in California. CNET reported that those logo boards had been removed in 1997 as those were replaced by the ones with a monochromic Apple logo which had become iconic ever since. The Apple logo boards are going to start at $10,000 at the auction.
A man looks at his Apple iPad in front an Apple logo outside an Apple store in downtown Shanghai March 16, 2012.
According to the auction house, it was Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' decision to take out the section of the Apple logo "so that no one would confuse it with a tomato." He picked the rainbow design as it was an effort to humanise the company. Each board at the auction features horizontal rainbow colours flowing across an apple. There is a bite-sized piece missing in the apple.
One of the boards measures 46 inches by 49 inches. It was reportedly placed on the side of building 3 on the Cupertino campus. The logo was apparently visible from Highway 280, according to the auction house. The other sign measures 33 inches by 36 inches. When the logos were removed, those were given to "a long-time Apple employee," TUAW reported. The name of the employee was, however, not disclosed. The logos apparently have signs of wear and tear as it graced the Apple campus for years. The larger apple in the logos was made of "stiff foam," whereas the smaller one was made of metal and fibreglass.
The logos are definitely going to attract collectors and Apple fans. The auction titled as "The Story of the 20th Century" is going to be held in New York on June 4. Even though the bidding will start at a moderate amount of $10,000 - the bidding is expected to reach a much higher level as the logos are considered to be two of the most precious treasures for Apple fans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery