Apple Original Rainbow Logo to Be Auctioned in New York
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 20, 2014 11:15 AM EST
The original Apple logo with rainbow colours is going for auction in June 2014. The logo was used by the company from 1976 to 1997.
It is the auction house Bonhams that obtained a couple of Apple rainbow logo boards which used to hang outside the Apple headquarters in California. CNET reported that those logo boards had been removed in 1997 as those were replaced by the ones with a monochromic Apple logo which had become iconic ever since. The Apple logo boards are going to start at $10,000 at the auction.
A man looks at his Apple iPad in front an Apple logo outside an Apple store in downtown Shanghai March 16, 2012.
According to the auction house, it was Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' decision to take out the section of the Apple logo "so that no one would confuse it with a tomato." He picked the rainbow design as it was an effort to humanise the company. Each board at the auction features horizontal rainbow colours flowing across an apple. There is a bite-sized piece missing in the apple.
One of the boards measures 46 inches by 49 inches. It was reportedly placed on the side of building 3 on the Cupertino campus. The logo was apparently visible from Highway 280, according to the auction house. The other sign measures 33 inches by 36 inches. When the logos were removed, those were given to "a long-time Apple employee," TUAW reported. The name of the employee was, however, not disclosed. The logos apparently have signs of wear and tear as it graced the Apple campus for years. The larger apple in the logos was made of "stiff foam," whereas the smaller one was made of metal and fibreglass.
The logos are definitely going to attract collectors and Apple fans. The auction titled as "The Story of the 20th Century" is going to be held in New York on June 4. Even though the bidding will start at a moderate amount of $10,000 - the bidding is expected to reach a much higher level as the logos are considered to be two of the most precious treasures for Apple fans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet