Australia Fly-Half Cooper to Go Under the Knife for Shoulder, Hip Injuries; Will Miss 4 Months
By James Patrick Quizon | May 20, 2014 10:56 AM EST
Quade Cooper, fly half for Australia and the Queensland Reds suffered injuries to his shoulder and will need surgery that will cause him to miss at least 16 weeks of rugby action.
MRI scans showed on Tuesday the need to go under the knife after the scare against the Melbourne Rebels last Saturday when he fell on his shoulder in a tackle. The surgery is to repair a Grade 3 AC joint injury, according to the team’s official site, Reds Rugby.
Cooper is expected to return in September and during his time out from the game will as well undergo arthroscopic surgery to clean up loose cartilage in his hip.
“Quade is obviously disappointed to miss the rest of the season, but he knows these two operations will bring him back to full health,” said Reds head coach Richard Graham in the same article.
“A player of Quade’s ability rarely has extended breaks from the game, so if there is a silver lining to this injury layoff it is that this will allow him time to refresh and repair his body in preparation for the 2015 season.”
The Reds fell to the Rebels, 30-27 in the Round 14 match last Saturday and will have a bye this week. They will face the Highlanders on May 30.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People