Worst Moments of Billboard Music Awards
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 20, 2014 10:25 AM EST
The Billboard Music Awards on Sunday May 18 had several performances by some of the biggest names in the music industry at the moment. Even though it promised to be a splendid experience of music and entertainment, there were certain moments which turned out to be huge disappointments. Here are some of them.
Singer Robin Thicke performs "Get Her Back" at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada May 18, 2014.
Even though there were artists like Ariana Grande, Carrie Underwood, Lorde and Katy Perry on board; the organisers decided to give the responsibility to Pitbull to start the evening. Pitbull chose a song that nobody had heard before. Pitbull kept rapping and the audience had no clue.
Michael Jackson Hologram
Rolling Stone wrote that nothing could be more "crass and shameless" than a Michael Jackson hologram. What Billboard boasted of might not be a proper hologram of the pop icon either. It seemed to be one of MJ impersonators. MJ, "the most physical musician in pop history," was just sitting in a chair.
Shakira's Lip Syncing
Shakira apparently did not bother to record a live vocal track for the show. She seemed to lip sync in her performance. Worse, the lip syncing was dismal. The track sounded like one taken straight off the studio album of Shakira's latest single.
Kendall Jenner's Reading
Kendall Jenner failed miserably with the teleprompter. She was trying to introduce "5 Seconds of Summer" while the crowd nervously waited for her to finish the introduction. The model eventually admitted that she was "the worst reader" but not before she "almost" referred to "5 Seconds" as "One Direction."
Robin Thicke's Apology
Robin Thicke did "Get Her Back" for the first time at the Billboard Music Awards. He opened the song saying, "All right, y'all help me get her back." He said that he would want to "treat her right." When he finished the performance, he was in his knees. Then he walked off with a big smile.
Katy Perry's Bodysuit
Even though Katy Perry was not present at the award ceremony, she was very much there in her bodysuit which was "aggressively ugly nude" and "emblazoned with a plethora of tackiness including a smiling balloon distastefully placed over each breast," according to New York Post. Additionally, she also wore a green wig.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies