Boxing News 2014: Mayweather’s Estimates of $70 Million Earnings from May 3 Bout vs Maidana Could be Too High as PPV Buys Were Between 800,000 and 900,000, ESPN Says
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 20, 2014 9:07 AM EST
It looks like American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr could be forced to eat some humble pie if the pay-per-view (PPV) figures cited by Dan Rafael of ESPN are correct. Rafael said that contrary to Money May's expectation that the PPV buys would exceed 1 million, his sources estimated the more accurate figure would be between 800,000 and 900,000.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
If such were the case, Mayweather would also need to adjust his previous estimate that he would have earned a total of $70 million from his May 3 bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana. Of that amount, $32 million is the guaranteed purse, while the remaining $38 million is Mayweather's forecast of PPV revenues based on buys of more than one million.
But a lower figure would not mean that Money May - who last week just splurged more than $500,000 on jewellery and watches in New York City - will become poorer.
The hit would be bigger on his ego as the PPV figures, if accurate, would indicate less boxing fan interest on his bout. Or could it be because fans would rather see him in the ring against eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao whom he just recently mocked after data showed that the April 12 rematch between Pacman and American boxer Timothy Bradley generated only between 750,000 and 800,000 PPV buys?
The official PPV figures are to be provided by Showtime, which has not provided the data yet.
To hit at least 1 million PPV buys, Golden Boy Promotions made the bout of Adrien Broner and Amir Khan the undercard fights versus Carlos Molina and Luis Collazo, respectively.
Commenting on why he believes the May 3 bout got less than 1 million hits, Rafael explained on Friday, "When a fight goes through the roof the cable systems are more anxious to report the numbers ... When a fight doesn't go crazy they take their time."
He noted that PPV numbers for the Mayweather-Canelo bout took only 4 days, while the Mayweather-Maidana fight has passed two weeks and the figures are still officially unknown.
He added that while the estimated 800,000 to 900,000 buys are not bad, it pales in comparison to the 2.2 million PPV buys when Mayweather fought Sanl "Canelo" Alvarez in September 2013.
Boxingnews24 warned that a Mayweather-Maidana rematch, tentatively set for September, would likely even bring lower PPV numbers, which are indicators that Money May should fight bigger names such as Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez or Canelo to boost future PPV buys.
Badlefthook questions if the Dream Match between Money May and Pacman would also generate large hits since the last two Pacquiao PPV buys were also disappointing in comparison to previous fights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools