Plan to Create World’s Largest Drug Company Fizzles as AstraZeneca Rejects $119 Billion Offer from Pfizer
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 20, 2014 8:38 AM EST
A man walks past the Pfizer logo next to a New York Police Officer standing outside Pfizer's world headquarters in New York November 5, 2013.
Pfizer is the second-largest pharmaceutical company in the world when it comes to revenue, while AstraZeneca is eighth.
In thumbing down Pfizer's offer, AstraZeneca's board said the planned buy-in is "an opportunistic attempt to acquire a transformed AstraZeneca without reflecting the true value of its exciting pipeline."
The board added that the British drugmaker has the ability to deliver on its prospects "as an independent, science led business."
BBC said that Pfizer planned to keep its New York office, but would be based in the UK for tax purpose. By using that strategy, Pfizer would enjoy a UK corporate tax rate of 20 per cent versus the U.S. rate of 35 per cent.
Leif Johansson, chairman of AstraZeneca added in a statement, "Pfizer gas failed to make a compelling strategic business or value case." He said he would only recommend to the board the deal if Pfizer would increase its current offer of $119 billion made on Friday by at least 10 per cent more.
However, it seems the market disagreed with AstraZeneca's decision since news of its decision caused shares of the company to drop 13 per cent in early trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family