Plan to Create World’s Largest Drug Company Fizzles as AstraZeneca Rejects $119 Billion Offer from Pfizer
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 20, 2014 8:38 AM EST
A man walks past the Pfizer logo next to a New York Police Officer standing outside Pfizer's world headquarters in New York November 5, 2013.
Pfizer is the second-largest pharmaceutical company in the world when it comes to revenue, while AstraZeneca is eighth.
In thumbing down Pfizer's offer, AstraZeneca's board said the planned buy-in is "an opportunistic attempt to acquire a transformed AstraZeneca without reflecting the true value of its exciting pipeline."
The board added that the British drugmaker has the ability to deliver on its prospects "as an independent, science led business."
BBC said that Pfizer planned to keep its New York office, but would be based in the UK for tax purpose. By using that strategy, Pfizer would enjoy a UK corporate tax rate of 20 per cent versus the U.S. rate of 35 per cent.
Leif Johansson, chairman of AstraZeneca added in a statement, "Pfizer gas failed to make a compelling strategic business or value case." He said he would only recommend to the board the deal if Pfizer would increase its current offer of $119 billion made on Friday by at least 10 per cent more.
However, it seems the market disagreed with AstraZeneca's decision since news of its decision caused shares of the company to drop 13 per cent in early trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On