Novak Djokovic Upsets World Number 1 Rafael Nadal to Take Rome Masters Trophy
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 20, 2014 6:52 AM EST
World number 2 Novak Djokovic stunned the King of Clay and World Number 1 player Rafael Nadal at the Foro Italico to claim the Rome Masters title on Sunday, May 18.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic secured his third Rome Masters title after winning the tournament in 2008 and in 2011. He defeated Nadal in three sets 4-6, 6-3,6-3. Nadal took the first set but struggled in the second and was barely scraping through each point later in the game.
The defeat is Nadal's third this season and after being very successful in this surface in the past, a chink in his armor is showing ahead of the French Open in Roland Garros. Nadal came to Rome looking for an eight title in that tournament. He looked like he was well on his way after a good start. He broke Djokovic twice before the Serbian player was able to find his rhythm and get back in the game.
Nadal started the match with a 3-0 lead and eventually won the first set 4-6. The momentum quickly shifted in the second set when Novak broke Nadal in the opening game of the set. Things were looking even as the score levelled out at 3-3 before Novak broke free of the Spaniard and won the second set at 6-3.
The third set was a complete struggle for Nadal as he fought for each of his points while Djokovic cruised through his. This is the 19th ATP Masters for Novak and he has now won the last four matches he has played against Nadal. The head-to-head tally between the two still has Nadal on top 22-19 but b the looks of it, he needs to watch his back.
"He's one of the best in the world, he's playing great, I played well for moments, I had my chances for moments, but I could have done with a little more energy at times. My legs didn't answer me after a tough week," said the Spaniard.
Djokovic missed the Madrid Masters two weeks ago which was won by Nadal after his opponent in the final, Ken Nishikori withdrew in the third set due to a back injury. Djokovic skipped the tournament after suffering a wrist injury at the Monte Carlo Masters earlier this year.
Both players will be heading out to Paris for the biggest clay tournament of the year and the second Grand Slam in Roland Garros for the French Open. Nadal will be defending his title for a fifth straight victory and he will be gunning for his 14th Grand Slam and ninth French open title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015