Trouble in Timberwolves Country? Rubio Calls Out Love for ‘Not Being a Leader’
By James Patrick Quizon | May 20, 2014 3:51 AM EST
Your starting point guard calling out your franchise player for not showing leadership skills? That’s a recipe for disaster and that’s just what Ricky Rubio did to Kevin Love after a revealing interview last Saturday.
NBA: New York Knicks at Minnesota Timberwolves
In an interview with BasketAmericano in Spanish, Rubio said that Love was a special player, who produces the numbers but not the kind of “vocal leader” the team needs. The Spanish point guard also admitted that he’s ready to take that responsibility in becoming the leader of the Timberwolves.
The Rubio comments timing is a bit off as well as rumours have circulated about Love wanting to get out of Minnesota and preferring to test free agency when his contract expires after the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Love’s contract actually extends until 2015-2016 but he has an early termination option (ETO) and become a free agent by 2015.
Meanwhile, according to a Star Tribune article, the Timberwolves will not trade Kevin Love before the 2014 NBA Draft which is set on June 26.
“Not by the draft,” said owner Glen Taylor said in the article referring to queries on when they can deal out Love. The owner remains optimistic however that they can convince the star power forward to stay in Minnesota.
“We’re proceeding the same way, that Kevin is part of our team, that we have,” Saunders told WCCO Radio in Minnesota. “You’re always trying to get your team better. There have been reports we’re actively trying to trade him, which isn’t true. What we’re actively trying to do is get our team better. When you do that, you look to see what’s out there no matter what it is or for anybody. We’re a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 10 years. We’ve got to get better.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand