Trouble in Timberwolves Country? Rubio Calls Out Love for ‘Not Being a Leader’
By James Patrick Quizon | May 20, 2014 3:51 AM EST
Your starting point guard calling out your franchise player for not showing leadership skills? That’s a recipe for disaster and that’s just what Ricky Rubio did to Kevin Love after a revealing interview last Saturday.
NBA: New York Knicks at Minnesota Timberwolves
In an interview with BasketAmericano in Spanish, Rubio said that Love was a special player, who produces the numbers but not the kind of “vocal leader” the team needs. The Spanish point guard also admitted that he’s ready to take that responsibility in becoming the leader of the Timberwolves.
The Rubio comments timing is a bit off as well as rumours have circulated about Love wanting to get out of Minnesota and preferring to test free agency when his contract expires after the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Love’s contract actually extends until 2015-2016 but he has an early termination option (ETO) and become a free agent by 2015.
Meanwhile, according to a Star Tribune article, the Timberwolves will not trade Kevin Love before the 2014 NBA Draft which is set on June 26.
“Not by the draft,” said owner Glen Taylor said in the article referring to queries on when they can deal out Love. The owner remains optimistic however that they can convince the star power forward to stay in Minnesota.
“We’re proceeding the same way, that Kevin is part of our team, that we have,” Saunders told WCCO Radio in Minnesota. “You’re always trying to get your team better. There have been reports we’re actively trying to trade him, which isn’t true. What we’re actively trying to do is get our team better. When you do that, you look to see what’s out there no matter what it is or for anybody. We’re a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 10 years. We’ve got to get better.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies