Trouble in Timberwolves Country? Rubio Calls Out Love for ‘Not Being a Leader’
By James Patrick Quizon | May 20, 2014 3:51 AM EST
Your starting point guard calling out your franchise player for not showing leadership skills? That’s a recipe for disaster and that’s just what Ricky Rubio did to Kevin Love after a revealing interview last Saturday.
NBA: New York Knicks at Minnesota Timberwolves
In an interview with BasketAmericano in Spanish, Rubio said that Love was a special player, who produces the numbers but not the kind of “vocal leader” the team needs. The Spanish point guard also admitted that he’s ready to take that responsibility in becoming the leader of the Timberwolves.
The Rubio comments timing is a bit off as well as rumours have circulated about Love wanting to get out of Minnesota and preferring to test free agency when his contract expires after the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Love’s contract actually extends until 2015-2016 but he has an early termination option (ETO) and become a free agent by 2015.
Meanwhile, according to a Star Tribune article, the Timberwolves will not trade Kevin Love before the 2014 NBA Draft which is set on June 26.
“Not by the draft,” said owner Glen Taylor said in the article referring to queries on when they can deal out Love. The owner remains optimistic however that they can convince the star power forward to stay in Minnesota.
“We’re proceeding the same way, that Kevin is part of our team, that we have,” Saunders told WCCO Radio in Minnesota. “You’re always trying to get your team better. There have been reports we’re actively trying to trade him, which isn’t true. What we’re actively trying to do is get our team better. When you do that, you look to see what’s out there no matter what it is or for anybody. We’re a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 10 years. We’ve got to get better.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman