Bureau Reveals Rising 'Peanut Allergy or Intolerance' Especially Among Boys
By Silvana Peters | May 19, 2014 11:37 PM EST
The Australian Bureau of Statistics has released new figures indicating boys have a higher risk of developing an allergy to peanuts as compared to girls. But experts were unable to provide any concrete explanation peanut allergies have increased and why there is a higher rate in boys.
The data showed about 71,000 boys between ages 2 and 18, as compared to only 39,000 girls, were allergic or had intolerance to peanuts.
''Twenty years ago, we hardly ever saw a child with a peanut allergy, maybe one every year. Now, we see 900 to 1000 kids each year," Loblay added.
One possible explanation for the higher rate of allergies in boys may be attributed to genetics.
"It can't be explained by exposure to peanuts or boys being more likely to eat them," Australian Medical Association Vice-president and Consultant Immunologist Brad Frankum said.
"It has to be something to do with genetic susceptibility. True food allergies in children is a genetic-based problem."
As an additional challenge to addressing the issue, the health system is ill-equipped for the rapidly increasing number of cases.
"It's a problem that the health system is only just starting to grapple with," Prof. Frankum said.
"We have a serious lack of specialist allergists and our public hospitals can't cope with the mass of kids that need testing. Waiting lists are getting longer, which means kids are avoiding foods unnecessarily for years because of a lack of resources."
Said cited all the allergies like peanut allergies are the most fatal and there is an increasing concern as children age and enter their high-risk teenage years.
As the number of individuals with food allergies increase, "Experts are calling for a national allergy register to track fatalities and severe reactions," the News.Com.Au reported.
More attention needs to be given and an institutionalized register is necessary to capture the actual food allergy situation. For more information regarding food allergies, refer to the Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers