Billboard Music Awards 2014: Michael Jackson Hologram Debuts "Slave to the Rhythm" [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 19, 2014 6:07 PM EST
Billboard Music Awards 2014 created history on television with Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' during the main event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The King of Pop in spirit form was donned in white T-shirt, gold jacket, white belt, and brick red pants. It was modeled after the art work for his album "Dangerous" released in 1991. He performed with 16 live dancers on the stage and a five-piece band.
The extraordinary yet creepy performance was made possible through the combination of choreography and filming, five months planning, and technological innovation. To give a seemingly authentic performance, a special stage was built at the back portion coupled with lasers, flames, and ancient costumes for the live dancers.
At the start of the performance, Jackson was seen sitting at the throne, rising from it, and walking several steps forward. He then made several trademark routines throughout his dancing career such as the moonwalk among others.
In an article from Billboard, BBMA director and producer Larry Klein stated: "We've been talking about it for the last five months and while we were talking about it they were still inventing the process. It was really strange talking about something that did not exist."
'Slave to the Rhythm' which was recorded in 1991 was one of the late Michael Jackson's unreleased tracks. It is now in a very close match with Timbaland's Black Keys for the number 1 spot at the Billboard 200. It was recorded with L.A. Reid and Babyface in 1991 for XCAPE album which was just released on Wednesday.
The album is the second posthumous compilation of the previously unreleased tracks by the King of Pop. Produced and curated by Epic Records Chairman and CEO L.A. Reid, the album contains limited songs only. Among them are Chicago, Loving You, A Place with No Name, Slave to the Rhythm, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Blue Gangsta, Love Never Felt So Good, and Xcape.
Other performances at the Billboard Music Awards 2014 include Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande for Problem, Ricky Martin for "Vida", 5 Seconds of Summer for "She's so Perfect", Lorde for "Tennis Court", John Legend for "All of Me", Luke Bryan for "Play It Again", and many others. The event was hosted by Ludacris.
Watch Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James