Billboard Music Awards 2014: Michael Jackson Hologram Debuts "Slave to the Rhythm" [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 19, 2014 6:07 PM EST
Billboard Music Awards 2014 created history on television with Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' during the main event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The King of Pop in spirit form was donned in white T-shirt, gold jacket, white belt, and brick red pants. It was modeled after the art work for his album "Dangerous" released in 1991. He performed with 16 live dancers on the stage and a five-piece band.
The extraordinary yet creepy performance was made possible through the combination of choreography and filming, five months planning, and technological innovation. To give a seemingly authentic performance, a special stage was built at the back portion coupled with lasers, flames, and ancient costumes for the live dancers.
At the start of the performance, Jackson was seen sitting at the throne, rising from it, and walking several steps forward. He then made several trademark routines throughout his dancing career such as the moonwalk among others.
In an article from Billboard, BBMA director and producer Larry Klein stated: "We've been talking about it for the last five months and while we were talking about it they were still inventing the process. It was really strange talking about something that did not exist."
'Slave to the Rhythm' which was recorded in 1991 was one of the late Michael Jackson's unreleased tracks. It is now in a very close match with Timbaland's Black Keys for the number 1 spot at the Billboard 200. It was recorded with L.A. Reid and Babyface in 1991 for XCAPE album which was just released on Wednesday.
The album is the second posthumous compilation of the previously unreleased tracks by the King of Pop. Produced and curated by Epic Records Chairman and CEO L.A. Reid, the album contains limited songs only. Among them are Chicago, Loving You, A Place with No Name, Slave to the Rhythm, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Blue Gangsta, Love Never Felt So Good, and Xcape.
Other performances at the Billboard Music Awards 2014 include Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande for Problem, Ricky Martin for "Vida", 5 Seconds of Summer for "She's so Perfect", Lorde for "Tennis Court", John Legend for "All of Me", Luke Bryan for "Play It Again", and many others. The event was hosted by Ludacris.
Watch Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?