Billboard Music Awards 2014: Michael Jackson Hologram Debuts "Slave to the Rhythm" [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 19, 2014 6:07 PM EST
Billboard Music Awards 2014 created history on television with Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' during the main event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The King of Pop in spirit form was donned in white T-shirt, gold jacket, white belt, and brick red pants. It was modeled after the art work for his album "Dangerous" released in 1991. He performed with 16 live dancers on the stage and a five-piece band.
The extraordinary yet creepy performance was made possible through the combination of choreography and filming, five months planning, and technological innovation. To give a seemingly authentic performance, a special stage was built at the back portion coupled with lasers, flames, and ancient costumes for the live dancers.
At the start of the performance, Jackson was seen sitting at the throne, rising from it, and walking several steps forward. He then made several trademark routines throughout his dancing career such as the moonwalk among others.
In an article from Billboard, BBMA director and producer Larry Klein stated: "We've been talking about it for the last five months and while we were talking about it they were still inventing the process. It was really strange talking about something that did not exist."
'Slave to the Rhythm' which was recorded in 1991 was one of the late Michael Jackson's unreleased tracks. It is now in a very close match with Timbaland's Black Keys for the number 1 spot at the Billboard 200. It was recorded with L.A. Reid and Babyface in 1991 for XCAPE album which was just released on Wednesday.
The album is the second posthumous compilation of the previously unreleased tracks by the King of Pop. Produced and curated by Epic Records Chairman and CEO L.A. Reid, the album contains limited songs only. Among them are Chicago, Loving You, A Place with No Name, Slave to the Rhythm, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Blue Gangsta, Love Never Felt So Good, and Xcape.
Other performances at the Billboard Music Awards 2014 include Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande for Problem, Ricky Martin for "Vida", 5 Seconds of Summer for "She's so Perfect", Lorde for "Tennis Court", John Legend for "All of Me", Luke Bryan for "Play It Again", and many others. The event was hosted by Ludacris.
Watch Michael Jackson hologram performing 'Slave to the Rhythm' from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage