Underwater grave reveals oldest and complete 12,000-year-old skeleton
By Silvana Peters | May 19, 2014 4:35 PM EST
The remains of a 12,000-year-old teenage girl has been found in an underwater cave in Mexico, which have have been described by the National Geographic Society as the "oldest, most complete" human skeleton.
The young girl, nicknamed Naia, has provided a great insight in the studies of the human origins in the Western Hemisphere and the earliest Americans. Studies about Naia indicated while her bone structure was consistent with those from her era but her DNA matched those of modern people.
Time wrote that "The child, known as Anzick-1, showed a direct genetic kinship to most modern Native Americans. That proved what scientists have long believed: the people Columbus and other explorers encountered when they arrived from Europe were descended from ancestors who had crossed over from Asia more than 12,000 years ago."
Naia has been referred to as "the missing link" that supports the argument of single migration from Asia to the Americas. The discovery linked the Paleoamericans and modern Native Americans.
"The newly discovered skeleton-named Naia by the divers who discovered her, after the Greek for water-should help to settle this speculation. Though her skull is shaped like those of other early Americans, she shares a DNA sequence with some modern Native Americans. In other words, she's likely a genetic great-aunt to indigenous people currently found in the Americas," the Smithsonian.com reported.
Divers found the Naia's remains along with the bones of other extinct animals like giant sloths and sabertooth cats. Based on the way Naia was discovered in the Yucatan Peninsula by divers in 2007, it was believed that the young girl fell to her death after breaking her pelvis.
There will be a feature of the expedition in the National Geographic magazine and television program and a PBS series titled, "NOVA" in 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports