Parents Face Charges for Starving Baby to Death
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 19, 2014 2:25 PM EST
A young couple from Chicago is facing charges for allegedly starving to death one of their baby daughters.
Markisha Jones, 19, and Gene Edwards, 22, residents of Bolingbrook, have been charged with felony counts of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in connection with the death of their infant daughter Mya G. Edwards.
A baby stroller is seen as mothers play with their children at a public area in downtown Shanghai November 19, 2013. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
Prior to 7-month-old Mya's death in January, her parents had stopped giving the infant formula, police found out. Instead, for two months since Nov 1, she, along with her twin sister, was just given a bottle filled with water, cereal and some baby food.
Moreover, police found the twin sisters were left for long periods of time in the basement of a rented apartment in a single-family home in Barrington, while their parents were upstairs.
On Jan 8 shortly after noon, Edwards noticed baby Mya was no longer breathing. He attempted to resuscitate her while waiting for the paramedics to arrive.
But paramedics were also unsuccessful to revive Mya on the dining room table.They then took her twin sister Mia to Good Shepherd Hospital because of her serious condition.
Barrington Police said they had a four-month investigation.
"At this point, I don't know why they did what they did," Barrington Police Chief David Dorn said Friday. "Our whole statement throughout this has been how incredibly sad it is."
Mya's death was ruled a homicide due to malnutrition from starvation. The Department of Children and Family Services said the parents had neglected Mya and her surviving twin sister.
Alyssa Grissom, Assistant State's Attorney, said Edwards admitted he noticed Mya losing weight, still didn't do anything about it. It was learned none of the twin sisters had seen a doctor since the previous summer.
Mia, Mya's surviving twin, is now in a foster home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6