Parents Face Charges for Starving Baby to Death
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 19, 2014 2:25 PM EST
A young couple from Chicago is facing charges for allegedly starving to death one of their baby daughters.
Markisha Jones, 19, and Gene Edwards, 22, residents of Bolingbrook, have been charged with felony counts of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in connection with the death of their infant daughter Mya G. Edwards.
A baby stroller is seen as mothers play with their children at a public area in downtown Shanghai November 19, 2013. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
Prior to 7-month-old Mya's death in January, her parents had stopped giving the infant formula, police found out. Instead, for two months since Nov 1, she, along with her twin sister, was just given a bottle filled with water, cereal and some baby food.
Moreover, police found the twin sisters were left for long periods of time in the basement of a rented apartment in a single-family home in Barrington, while their parents were upstairs.
On Jan 8 shortly after noon, Edwards noticed baby Mya was no longer breathing. He attempted to resuscitate her while waiting for the paramedics to arrive.
But paramedics were also unsuccessful to revive Mya on the dining room table.They then took her twin sister Mia to Good Shepherd Hospital because of her serious condition.
Barrington Police said they had a four-month investigation.
"At this point, I don't know why they did what they did," Barrington Police Chief David Dorn said Friday. "Our whole statement throughout this has been how incredibly sad it is."
Mya's death was ruled a homicide due to malnutrition from starvation. The Department of Children and Family Services said the parents had neglected Mya and her surviving twin sister.
Alyssa Grissom, Assistant State's Attorney, said Edwards admitted he noticed Mya losing weight, still didn't do anything about it. It was learned none of the twin sisters had seen a doctor since the previous summer.
Mia, Mya's surviving twin, is now in a foster home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS