NBA Playoffs – East Finals Recap: Indiana Pacers Take Game 1 Against Miami Heat
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 1:40 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers have been described as ‘bipolar’ in this 2014 NBA Playoffs. The good news for them is that the good side appeared first in the opening game of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Miami Heat as the home team notched the easy 107-96 victory on Sunday to gain the 1-0 series lead in the best-of-seven affair.
The Pacers started the game like a house on fire—dropping 30 points in the first quarter and shooting above 63 per cent after the first half when they built a 55-45 lead at the break.
They never let up and never gave the defending champions a chance as all starting five scored in double-figure scoring for the Pacers led by Paul George’s 24 points. He also had 4 rebounds and 7 rebounds.
Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra stubbornly stuck with his smallball starting Shane Battier at the 4 spot and paid dearly for it in this game. David West, who was guarded by either LeBron James or Battier, missed just 3 of 11 shots from the field for 19 points.
The good version of Roy Hibbert showed up as well finishing with 19 points and 9 rebounds while George Hill had 15 points and Lance Stephenson, 17 markers.
The starters combined to shoot 63.3 per cent from the field and as a team they shot 51.5 per cent—impressive numbers considering the offensive woes they went through late in the regular season and early in this postseason.
Dwyane Wade's knees did not "flare-up" yet in this game and he even scored 27 points for the Heat. He missed only 6 of 18 shots. James had a similar efficient rate from the floor: 11 of 18 field goals for 25 points.
Only Ray Allen (12 points) and Chris Andersen (14) had good numbers from the Heat. Chris Bosh had 9 points (4/12 FG) and Mario Chalmers had 6 points (2/9 FG).
Game 2 is set on Tuesday when the Pacers try to protect home floor once again and grab the 2-0 lead in the series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS