NBA Playoffs – East Finals Recap: Indiana Pacers Take Game 1 Against Miami Heat
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 1:40 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers have been described as ‘bipolar’ in this 2014 NBA Playoffs. The good news for them is that the good side appeared first in the opening game of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Miami Heat as the home team notched the easy 107-96 victory on Sunday to gain the 1-0 series lead in the best-of-seven affair.
The Pacers started the game like a house on fire—dropping 30 points in the first quarter and shooting above 63 per cent after the first half when they built a 55-45 lead at the break.
They never let up and never gave the defending champions a chance as all starting five scored in double-figure scoring for the Pacers led by Paul George’s 24 points. He also had 4 rebounds and 7 rebounds.
Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra stubbornly stuck with his smallball starting Shane Battier at the 4 spot and paid dearly for it in this game. David West, who was guarded by either LeBron James or Battier, missed just 3 of 11 shots from the field for 19 points.
The good version of Roy Hibbert showed up as well finishing with 19 points and 9 rebounds while George Hill had 15 points and Lance Stephenson, 17 markers.
The starters combined to shoot 63.3 per cent from the field and as a team they shot 51.5 per cent—impressive numbers considering the offensive woes they went through late in the regular season and early in this postseason.
Dwyane Wade's knees did not "flare-up" yet in this game and he even scored 27 points for the Heat. He missed only 6 of 18 shots. James had a similar efficient rate from the floor: 11 of 18 field goals for 25 points.
Only Ray Allen (12 points) and Chris Andersen (14) had good numbers from the Heat. Chris Bosh had 9 points (4/12 FG) and Mario Chalmers had 6 points (2/9 FG).
Game 2 is set on Tuesday when the Pacers try to protect home floor once again and grab the 2-0 lead in the series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?