CBS' ‘Madam Secretary’: Five Things To Know on the New Series
By Riza Ornos | May 19, 2014 1:31 PM EST
An upcoming CBS political drama series, "Madam Secretary" stars Tea Leoni as Elizabeth Faulkner McCord, a United States Secretary of State. A former CIA analyst-turned-college professor, McCord gets an offer from the president that she can't refuse, now she have to balance her complex family life and office politics as she tries to drive international diplomacy.
The new series marks Tea's return to television following her roles on "Flying Blind" and "The Naked Truth" which ended in 1998. Now 15 years later, she is back with a vengeance for staying quiet and plays a lead role in "Madam Secretary" together Tim Daly, Bebe Neuwirth, Erich Bergen, Evan Roe, Geoffrey Arend, Patina Miller, Sebastian Arcelus and Katherine Herzer.
"There was something-I adored her. I adored her by page two, there's no sarcasm to her. Sarcasm is too slow," says Leoni in an interview with E! News about her all-new character. "I want to wake up and be her every day."
"I think in a lot of ways it's inspiring to see women that we want to see. I think when I sort of set out to do this gal, I thought, 'Who do I want in office?' That's been guiding my choices," she added.
Here are the five things you need to know about "Madam Secretary."
1. Penned by "Judging Amy" and "Joan of Arcadia" writer Barbara Hall, the new series will Oscar-winner Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer as executive producers.
2. Leoni has been approached many times to head a pilot series but her only TV gig before signing up for "Madam Secretary" was the 2011 HBO pilot "Sping/Fall."
3. Part of the 2014-2015 television season, "Madam Secretary" will be paired with CBS "The Good Wife" on Sundays at 8 PM.
4. Together with CBS new series "Scoprion," The McCarthys" and "NCIS: New Orleans," the new political drama show will premiere in fall.
5. A TV version of Condoleezza Rice and Henry Kissinger, Leoni's character as secretary of state will showcase the actress diverse acting roles from the past. Her movie credits include "Spanglish," "Bad Boys," "Tower Heist" and "Deep Impact."
Click "Madam Secretary" first look here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29