CBS' ‘Madam Secretary’: Five Things To Know on the New Series
By Riza Ornos | May 19, 2014 1:31 PM EST
An upcoming CBS political drama series, "Madam Secretary" stars Tea Leoni as Elizabeth Faulkner McCord, a United States Secretary of State. A former CIA analyst-turned-college professor, McCord gets an offer from the president that she can't refuse, now she have to balance her complex family life and office politics as she tries to drive international diplomacy.
The new series marks Tea's return to television following her roles on "Flying Blind" and "The Naked Truth" which ended in 1998. Now 15 years later, she is back with a vengeance for staying quiet and plays a lead role in "Madam Secretary" together Tim Daly, Bebe Neuwirth, Erich Bergen, Evan Roe, Geoffrey Arend, Patina Miller, Sebastian Arcelus and Katherine Herzer.
"There was something-I adored her. I adored her by page two, there's no sarcasm to her. Sarcasm is too slow," says Leoni in an interview with E! News about her all-new character. "I want to wake up and be her every day."
"I think in a lot of ways it's inspiring to see women that we want to see. I think when I sort of set out to do this gal, I thought, 'Who do I want in office?' That's been guiding my choices," she added.
Here are the five things you need to know about "Madam Secretary."
1. Penned by "Judging Amy" and "Joan of Arcadia" writer Barbara Hall, the new series will Oscar-winner Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer as executive producers.
2. Leoni has been approached many times to head a pilot series but her only TV gig before signing up for "Madam Secretary" was the 2011 HBO pilot "Sping/Fall."
3. Part of the 2014-2015 television season, "Madam Secretary" will be paired with CBS "The Good Wife" on Sundays at 8 PM.
4. Together with CBS new series "Scoprion," The McCarthys" and "NCIS: New Orleans," the new political drama show will premiere in fall.
5. A TV version of Condoleezza Rice and Henry Kissinger, Leoni's character as secretary of state will showcase the actress diverse acting roles from the past. Her movie credits include "Spanglish," "Bad Boys," "Tower Heist" and "Deep Impact."
Click "Madam Secretary" first look here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell