Internazionali BNL d'Italia 2014 Winners: Novak Djokovic ‘Emotional’ With the Victory; Serena Williams Successfully Defended Title
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 19, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams were the winners of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia or also known as the Italian Open. Djokovic and Williams faced Rafael Nadal and Sara Errani, respectively, in the finals of tournament on May 18.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito
Djokovic vs. Nadal
Djokovic defeated Nadal in two of three sets in the finals men's match of the 2014 Italian Open. The Serbian athlete who currently ranks second in the world managed to win after losing in the first set to the Spaniard with the finals score of 4-6, 6-3 and 6-3.
Djokovic's victory was reportedly an "emotional" win for him because it came after his country was struck by "severe flooding," BBC.com reported. According to the Web site, the catastrophe left 35 people dead and thousands of families without homes.
"People are struggling, people are losing homes," Djokovic said.
"There has been a lot of casualties, but the government is not able to name and to number because they are still discovering new bodies as the flood is backing up."
"So it's been a very emotional week for me." Djokovic said that he was happy to win the Italian Open but at the same time, he felt sad for his fellow countrymen.
"Part of me is very happy to win the tournament here in Rome - it is a big one in our sport."
"On the other hand, my thoughts and my love is with my people in Serbia."
Djokovic and Nadal has faced each other in the finals of the Italian Open tournament four times in the last six years, in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014. Djokovic's win in the 2014 Italian Open has equaled their head-to-head tally to 2-2.
However, Nadal still holds the record of having the most wins in the said tournament since 2005 with a total of seven Italian Open titles, while Djokovic has only three.
Willams vs. Errani
Nadal may have failed to successfully defend his Italian Open title but it was not the same case for World No. 1 Serena Williams. She was the winner in 2013 and was able to preserve her title after beating Italy's own Sara Errani in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
Errani was bidding to become the first Italian to win the tournament. Errani scored points in the first set before suffering a hip injury.
"Thanks to my coach and my team for keeping my body together," Williams said to the crown in Italian language as reported by The Guardian. "I'm sorry for Sara, she didn't deserve this, with the injury."
At 32, Williams is one of the oldest female players on tour, but she just keeps getting better. There is clearly no signs of her performance wearing off with age. Williams thinks so too. "I am like fine wine."
"I am getting better with age." Williams added that she is planning to win one more Grand Slam before she retires. "I hope to win one more Grand Slam before I retire but I don't want to look too far ahead."
"There are hundreds of players who want to do the same."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage