Internazionali BNL d'Italia 2014 Winners: Novak Djokovic ‘Emotional’ With the Victory; Serena Williams Successfully Defended Title
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 19, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams were the winners of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia or also known as the Italian Open. Djokovic and Williams faced Rafael Nadal and Sara Errani, respectively, in the finals of tournament on May 18.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito
Djokovic vs. Nadal
Djokovic defeated Nadal in two of three sets in the finals men's match of the 2014 Italian Open. The Serbian athlete who currently ranks second in the world managed to win after losing in the first set to the Spaniard with the finals score of 4-6, 6-3 and 6-3.
Djokovic's victory was reportedly an "emotional" win for him because it came after his country was struck by "severe flooding," BBC.com reported. According to the Web site, the catastrophe left 35 people dead and thousands of families without homes.
"People are struggling, people are losing homes," Djokovic said.
"There has been a lot of casualties, but the government is not able to name and to number because they are still discovering new bodies as the flood is backing up."
"So it's been a very emotional week for me." Djokovic said that he was happy to win the Italian Open but at the same time, he felt sad for his fellow countrymen.
"Part of me is very happy to win the tournament here in Rome - it is a big one in our sport."
"On the other hand, my thoughts and my love is with my people in Serbia."
Djokovic and Nadal has faced each other in the finals of the Italian Open tournament four times in the last six years, in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014. Djokovic's win in the 2014 Italian Open has equaled their head-to-head tally to 2-2.
However, Nadal still holds the record of having the most wins in the said tournament since 2005 with a total of seven Italian Open titles, while Djokovic has only three.
Willams vs. Errani
Nadal may have failed to successfully defend his Italian Open title but it was not the same case for World No. 1 Serena Williams. She was the winner in 2013 and was able to preserve her title after beating Italy's own Sara Errani in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
Errani was bidding to become the first Italian to win the tournament. Errani scored points in the first set before suffering a hip injury.
"Thanks to my coach and my team for keeping my body together," Williams said to the crown in Italian language as reported by The Guardian. "I'm sorry for Sara, she didn't deserve this, with the injury."
At 32, Williams is one of the oldest female players on tour, but she just keeps getting better. There is clearly no signs of her performance wearing off with age. Williams thinks so too. "I am like fine wine."
"I am getting better with age." Williams added that she is planning to win one more Grand Slam before she retires. "I hope to win one more Grand Slam before I retire but I don't want to look too far ahead."
"There are hundreds of players who want to do the same."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates