Internazionali BNL d'Italia 2014 Winners: Novak Djokovic ‘Emotional’ With the Victory; Serena Williams Successfully Defended Title
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 19, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams were the winners of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia or also known as the Italian Open. Djokovic and Williams faced Rafael Nadal and Sara Errani, respectively, in the finals of tournament on May 18.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito
Djokovic vs. Nadal
Djokovic defeated Nadal in two of three sets in the finals men's match of the 2014 Italian Open. The Serbian athlete who currently ranks second in the world managed to win after losing in the first set to the Spaniard with the finals score of 4-6, 6-3 and 6-3.
Djokovic's victory was reportedly an "emotional" win for him because it came after his country was struck by "severe flooding," BBC.com reported. According to the Web site, the catastrophe left 35 people dead and thousands of families without homes.
"People are struggling, people are losing homes," Djokovic said.
"There has been a lot of casualties, but the government is not able to name and to number because they are still discovering new bodies as the flood is backing up."
"So it's been a very emotional week for me." Djokovic said that he was happy to win the Italian Open but at the same time, he felt sad for his fellow countrymen.
"Part of me is very happy to win the tournament here in Rome - it is a big one in our sport."
"On the other hand, my thoughts and my love is with my people in Serbia."
Djokovic and Nadal has faced each other in the finals of the Italian Open tournament four times in the last six years, in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014. Djokovic's win in the 2014 Italian Open has equaled their head-to-head tally to 2-2.
However, Nadal still holds the record of having the most wins in the said tournament since 2005 with a total of seven Italian Open titles, while Djokovic has only three.
Willams vs. Errani
Nadal may have failed to successfully defend his Italian Open title but it was not the same case for World No. 1 Serena Williams. She was the winner in 2013 and was able to preserve her title after beating Italy's own Sara Errani in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
Errani was bidding to become the first Italian to win the tournament. Errani scored points in the first set before suffering a hip injury.
"Thanks to my coach and my team for keeping my body together," Williams said to the crown in Italian language as reported by The Guardian. "I'm sorry for Sara, she didn't deserve this, with the injury."
At 32, Williams is one of the oldest female players on tour, but she just keeps getting better. There is clearly no signs of her performance wearing off with age. Williams thinks so too. "I am like fine wine."
"I am getting better with age." Williams added that she is planning to win one more Grand Slam before she retires. "I hope to win one more Grand Slam before I retire but I don't want to look too far ahead."
"There are hundreds of players who want to do the same."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide