Internazionali BNL d'Italia 2014 Winners: Novak Djokovic ‘Emotional’ With the Victory; Serena Williams Successfully Defended Title
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 19, 2014 1:12 PM EST
Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams were the winners of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia or also known as the Italian Open. Djokovic and Williams faced Rafael Nadal and Sara Errani, respectively, in the finals of tournament on May 18.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito
Djokovic vs. Nadal
Djokovic defeated Nadal in two of three sets in the finals men's match of the 2014 Italian Open. The Serbian athlete who currently ranks second in the world managed to win after losing in the first set to the Spaniard with the finals score of 4-6, 6-3 and 6-3.
Djokovic's victory was reportedly an "emotional" win for him because it came after his country was struck by "severe flooding," BBC.com reported. According to the Web site, the catastrophe left 35 people dead and thousands of families without homes.
"People are struggling, people are losing homes," Djokovic said.
"There has been a lot of casualties, but the government is not able to name and to number because they are still discovering new bodies as the flood is backing up."
"So it's been a very emotional week for me." Djokovic said that he was happy to win the Italian Open but at the same time, he felt sad for his fellow countrymen.
"Part of me is very happy to win the tournament here in Rome - it is a big one in our sport."
"On the other hand, my thoughts and my love is with my people in Serbia."
Djokovic and Nadal has faced each other in the finals of the Italian Open tournament four times in the last six years, in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014. Djokovic's win in the 2014 Italian Open has equaled their head-to-head tally to 2-2.
However, Nadal still holds the record of having the most wins in the said tournament since 2005 with a total of seven Italian Open titles, while Djokovic has only three.
Willams vs. Errani
Nadal may have failed to successfully defend his Italian Open title but it was not the same case for World No. 1 Serena Williams. She was the winner in 2013 and was able to preserve her title after beating Italy's own Sara Errani in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
Errani was bidding to become the first Italian to win the tournament. Errani scored points in the first set before suffering a hip injury.
"Thanks to my coach and my team for keeping my body together," Williams said to the crown in Italian language as reported by The Guardian. "I'm sorry for Sara, she didn't deserve this, with the injury."
At 32, Williams is one of the oldest female players on tour, but she just keeps getting better. There is clearly no signs of her performance wearing off with age. Williams thinks so too. "I am like fine wine."
"I am getting better with age." Williams added that she is planning to win one more Grand Slam before she retires. "I hope to win one more Grand Slam before I retire but I don't want to look too far ahead."
"There are hundreds of players who want to do the same."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales