Tennis News: Roger Federer Hints Retirement Coming Sooner Than Expected
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:06 PM EST
Roger Federer's retirement party appears to be coming really soon. With a new set of twins coming to his life, the 17-time Grand Slam champion hinted that he might end his decorated tennis career in two years time during his recent interview with ESPN.
Federer, who absorbed a first-round exit at the hands of unheralded Jeremy Chardy in Rome just days after welcoming his new pair of twins, expressed his excitement for his two boys, Leo and Lenny, and he's already looking forward to bringing them along with his two girl twins on the road.
"Boys names are hard. It was all last minute," Federer said. "Girls, I feel like there's so many nice names and they're all cute but with boys it's totally a different story.
"I miss them a lot already and also the girls," the fourth-ranked Swiss player said. "It's a different type of week but I'll get through it and I hope I can still play some good tennis."
Federer is confident he and his wife Mirka can handle the situation smoothly, though it needs more effort from both of them this time around. However, the Swiss Master said that he might become a full-time parent to his kid in two years.
"This time around, we kind of know how to handle kids on the road," the 32-year-old Federer said. "I'm aware it's going to be a lot of work but at the same time I know what I'm getting into. So it's something I'm very much looking forward to. ... There will be a long time without any traveling after the tennis is over, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of years now."
Federer, who is enjoying a revival in his career early this season, doesn't want the overwhelming moment to ruin his focus as he tries to build momentum heading into the 2014 French Open.
"I expect a lot from myself but then after what happened I come here a bit more laid back, just enjoy it," Federer said. "I've had such a good start to the season that I want to just keep momentum on my side."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories