Tennis News: Roger Federer Hints Retirement Coming Sooner Than Expected
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:06 PM EST
Roger Federer's retirement party appears to be coming really soon. With a new set of twins coming to his life, the 17-time Grand Slam champion hinted that he might end his decorated tennis career in two years time during his recent interview with ESPN.
Federer, who absorbed a first-round exit at the hands of unheralded Jeremy Chardy in Rome just days after welcoming his new pair of twins, expressed his excitement for his two boys, Leo and Lenny, and he's already looking forward to bringing them along with his two girl twins on the road.
"Boys names are hard. It was all last minute," Federer said. "Girls, I feel like there's so many nice names and they're all cute but with boys it's totally a different story.
"I miss them a lot already and also the girls," the fourth-ranked Swiss player said. "It's a different type of week but I'll get through it and I hope I can still play some good tennis."
Federer is confident he and his wife Mirka can handle the situation smoothly, though it needs more effort from both of them this time around. However, the Swiss Master said that he might become a full-time parent to his kid in two years.
"This time around, we kind of know how to handle kids on the road," the 32-year-old Federer said. "I'm aware it's going to be a lot of work but at the same time I know what I'm getting into. So it's something I'm very much looking forward to. ... There will be a long time without any traveling after the tennis is over, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of years now."
Federer, who is enjoying a revival in his career early this season, doesn't want the overwhelming moment to ruin his focus as he tries to build momentum heading into the 2014 French Open.
"I expect a lot from myself but then after what happened I come here a bit more laid back, just enjoy it," Federer said. "I've had such a good start to the season that I want to just keep momentum on my side."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June