Tennis News: Roger Federer Hints Retirement Coming Sooner Than Expected
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:06 PM EST
Roger Federer's retirement party appears to be coming really soon. With a new set of twins coming to his life, the 17-time Grand Slam champion hinted that he might end his decorated tennis career in two years time during his recent interview with ESPN.
Federer, who absorbed a first-round exit at the hands of unheralded Jeremy Chardy in Rome just days after welcoming his new pair of twins, expressed his excitement for his two boys, Leo and Lenny, and he's already looking forward to bringing them along with his two girl twins on the road.
"Boys names are hard. It was all last minute," Federer said. "Girls, I feel like there's so many nice names and they're all cute but with boys it's totally a different story.
"I miss them a lot already and also the girls," the fourth-ranked Swiss player said. "It's a different type of week but I'll get through it and I hope I can still play some good tennis."
Federer is confident he and his wife Mirka can handle the situation smoothly, though it needs more effort from both of them this time around. However, the Swiss Master said that he might become a full-time parent to his kid in two years.
"This time around, we kind of know how to handle kids on the road," the 32-year-old Federer said. "I'm aware it's going to be a lot of work but at the same time I know what I'm getting into. So it's something I'm very much looking forward to. ... There will be a long time without any traveling after the tennis is over, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of years now."
Federer, who is enjoying a revival in his career early this season, doesn't want the overwhelming moment to ruin his focus as he tries to build momentum heading into the 2014 French Open.
"I expect a lot from myself but then after what happened I come here a bit more laid back, just enjoy it," Federer said. "I've had such a good start to the season that I want to just keep momentum on my side."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report