Tennis News: Roger Federer Hints Retirement Coming Sooner Than Expected
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:06 PM EST
Roger Federer's retirement party appears to be coming really soon. With a new set of twins coming to his life, the 17-time Grand Slam champion hinted that he might end his decorated tennis career in two years time during his recent interview with ESPN.
Federer, who absorbed a first-round exit at the hands of unheralded Jeremy Chardy in Rome just days after welcoming his new pair of twins, expressed his excitement for his two boys, Leo and Lenny, and he's already looking forward to bringing them along with his two girl twins on the road.
"Boys names are hard. It was all last minute," Federer said. "Girls, I feel like there's so many nice names and they're all cute but with boys it's totally a different story.
"I miss them a lot already and also the girls," the fourth-ranked Swiss player said. "It's a different type of week but I'll get through it and I hope I can still play some good tennis."
Federer is confident he and his wife Mirka can handle the situation smoothly, though it needs more effort from both of them this time around. However, the Swiss Master said that he might become a full-time parent to his kid in two years.
"This time around, we kind of know how to handle kids on the road," the 32-year-old Federer said. "I'm aware it's going to be a lot of work but at the same time I know what I'm getting into. So it's something I'm very much looking forward to. ... There will be a long time without any traveling after the tennis is over, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of years now."
Federer, who is enjoying a revival in his career early this season, doesn't want the overwhelming moment to ruin his focus as he tries to build momentum heading into the 2014 French Open.
"I expect a lot from myself but then after what happened I come here a bit more laid back, just enjoy it," Federer said. "I've had such a good start to the season that I want to just keep momentum on my side."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2