Manny Pacquiao vs.JuanMa Marquez 5 Almost Done Deal, Fight Likely To Take Place in Macau
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez proved his career is not yet done, as the Mexican brawler peppered challenger Mike Alvarado to earn a 117-109, 117-109, 119-108 unanimous decision in their Saturday's welterweight slugfest at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The Dinamita used his rapid fire combinations and tremendous punching power to dominate a younger fighter in Alvarado through 12 pulsating rounds in the previously dormant Forum.
With another victory, the 40-year old Marquez appears to be headed to another collision course with longtime rival Manny Pacquiao in November. In fact, there are reports that the fifth fight between two surefire Hall of Fame boxers is already a done deal and the showdown could take place in Macau, China.
"After the fight, Zanfer President and Marquez representatives Fernando Beltran hinted that the fifth fight with Pacquiao is almost agreed for later this year in Macau, China for the WBO welterweight belt held by the Filipino," according to World Boxing News on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum is confident he can pull off a deal that would pit Pacquiao and Marquez for the fifth time in their career after four masterful showdown inside the ring.
"Marquez said he would go back and consult with his team and analyze the fifth fight," Arum said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. "That's a pretty good statement. I'm fairly confident I'll make it. Manny wants the fight."
"So it's going to be up to Marquez. It really is. I think there's a lot of money in that fight. And this was a great fight tonight. Mike has the guts of a lion. He stayed in there, he hurt Marquez pretty good but Marquez is Marquez. Marquez is a great fighter."
Then again, Arum stressed that there's no existing contract requiring Marquez to fight Pacquiao again, and the Mexican has all the rights to reject the offer.
"There is nothing contractual with the two fighters that are fighting Saturday (Sunday in Manila), but they know I will offer the winner a fight with Manny and it's up to the winner to accept or reject it," Arum said in World Boxing News via ABS-CBN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims