Manny Pacquiao vs.JuanMa Marquez 5 Almost Done Deal, Fight Likely To Take Place in Macau
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez proved his career is not yet done, as the Mexican brawler peppered challenger Mike Alvarado to earn a 117-109, 117-109, 119-108 unanimous decision in their Saturday's welterweight slugfest at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The Dinamita used his rapid fire combinations and tremendous punching power to dominate a younger fighter in Alvarado through 12 pulsating rounds in the previously dormant Forum.
With another victory, the 40-year old Marquez appears to be headed to another collision course with longtime rival Manny Pacquiao in November. In fact, there are reports that the fifth fight between two surefire Hall of Fame boxers is already a done deal and the showdown could take place in Macau, China.
"After the fight, Zanfer President and Marquez representatives Fernando Beltran hinted that the fifth fight with Pacquiao is almost agreed for later this year in Macau, China for the WBO welterweight belt held by the Filipino," according to World Boxing News on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum is confident he can pull off a deal that would pit Pacquiao and Marquez for the fifth time in their career after four masterful showdown inside the ring.
"Marquez said he would go back and consult with his team and analyze the fifth fight," Arum said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. "That's a pretty good statement. I'm fairly confident I'll make it. Manny wants the fight."
"So it's going to be up to Marquez. It really is. I think there's a lot of money in that fight. And this was a great fight tonight. Mike has the guts of a lion. He stayed in there, he hurt Marquez pretty good but Marquez is Marquez. Marquez is a great fighter."
Then again, Arum stressed that there's no existing contract requiring Marquez to fight Pacquiao again, and the Mexican has all the rights to reject the offer.
"There is nothing contractual with the two fighters that are fighting Saturday (Sunday in Manila), but they know I will offer the winner a fight with Manny and it's up to the winner to accept or reject it," Arum said in World Boxing News via ABS-CBN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports