Manny Pacquiao vs.JuanMa Marquez 5 Almost Done Deal, Fight Likely To Take Place in Macau
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez proved his career is not yet done, as the Mexican brawler peppered challenger Mike Alvarado to earn a 117-109, 117-109, 119-108 unanimous decision in their Saturday's welterweight slugfest at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The Dinamita used his rapid fire combinations and tremendous punching power to dominate a younger fighter in Alvarado through 12 pulsating rounds in the previously dormant Forum.
With another victory, the 40-year old Marquez appears to be headed to another collision course with longtime rival Manny Pacquiao in November. In fact, there are reports that the fifth fight between two surefire Hall of Fame boxers is already a done deal and the showdown could take place in Macau, China.
"After the fight, Zanfer President and Marquez representatives Fernando Beltran hinted that the fifth fight with Pacquiao is almost agreed for later this year in Macau, China for the WBO welterweight belt held by the Filipino," according to World Boxing News on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum is confident he can pull off a deal that would pit Pacquiao and Marquez for the fifth time in their career after four masterful showdown inside the ring.
"Marquez said he would go back and consult with his team and analyze the fifth fight," Arum said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. "That's a pretty good statement. I'm fairly confident I'll make it. Manny wants the fight."
"So it's going to be up to Marquez. It really is. I think there's a lot of money in that fight. And this was a great fight tonight. Mike has the guts of a lion. He stayed in there, he hurt Marquez pretty good but Marquez is Marquez. Marquez is a great fighter."
Then again, Arum stressed that there's no existing contract requiring Marquez to fight Pacquiao again, and the Mexican has all the rights to reject the offer.
"There is nothing contractual with the two fighters that are fighting Saturday (Sunday in Manila), but they know I will offer the winner a fight with Manny and it's up to the winner to accept or reject it," Arum said in World Boxing News via ABS-CBN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal