Manny Pacquiao vs.JuanMa Marquez 5 Almost Done Deal, Fight Likely To Take Place in Macau
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez proved his career is not yet done, as the Mexican brawler peppered challenger Mike Alvarado to earn a 117-109, 117-109, 119-108 unanimous decision in their Saturday's welterweight slugfest at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The Dinamita used his rapid fire combinations and tremendous punching power to dominate a younger fighter in Alvarado through 12 pulsating rounds in the previously dormant Forum.
With another victory, the 40-year old Marquez appears to be headed to another collision course with longtime rival Manny Pacquiao in November. In fact, there are reports that the fifth fight between two surefire Hall of Fame boxers is already a done deal and the showdown could take place in Macau, China.
"After the fight, Zanfer President and Marquez representatives Fernando Beltran hinted that the fifth fight with Pacquiao is almost agreed for later this year in Macau, China for the WBO welterweight belt held by the Filipino," according to World Boxing News on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum is confident he can pull off a deal that would pit Pacquiao and Marquez for the fifth time in their career after four masterful showdown inside the ring.
"Marquez said he would go back and consult with his team and analyze the fifth fight," Arum said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. "That's a pretty good statement. I'm fairly confident I'll make it. Manny wants the fight."
"So it's going to be up to Marquez. It really is. I think there's a lot of money in that fight. And this was a great fight tonight. Mike has the guts of a lion. He stayed in there, he hurt Marquez pretty good but Marquez is Marquez. Marquez is a great fighter."
Then again, Arum stressed that there's no existing contract requiring Marquez to fight Pacquiao again, and the Mexican has all the rights to reject the offer.
"There is nothing contractual with the two fighters that are fighting Saturday (Sunday in Manila), but they know I will offer the winner a fight with Manny and it's up to the winner to accept or reject it," Arum said in World Boxing News via ABS-CBN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles