Manny Pacquiao vs.JuanMa Marquez 5 Almost Done Deal, Fight Likely To Take Place in Macau
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Juan Manuel Marquez proved his career is not yet done, as the Mexican brawler peppered challenger Mike Alvarado to earn a 117-109, 117-109, 119-108 unanimous decision in their Saturday's welterweight slugfest at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The Dinamita used his rapid fire combinations and tremendous punching power to dominate a younger fighter in Alvarado through 12 pulsating rounds in the previously dormant Forum.
With another victory, the 40-year old Marquez appears to be headed to another collision course with longtime rival Manny Pacquiao in November. In fact, there are reports that the fifth fight between two surefire Hall of Fame boxers is already a done deal and the showdown could take place in Macau, China.
"After the fight, Zanfer President and Marquez representatives Fernando Beltran hinted that the fifth fight with Pacquiao is almost agreed for later this year in Macau, China for the WBO welterweight belt held by the Filipino," according to World Boxing News on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Top-Rank head honcho Bob Arum is confident he can pull off a deal that would pit Pacquiao and Marquez for the fifth time in their career after four masterful showdown inside the ring.
"Marquez said he would go back and consult with his team and analyze the fifth fight," Arum said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. "That's a pretty good statement. I'm fairly confident I'll make it. Manny wants the fight."
"So it's going to be up to Marquez. It really is. I think there's a lot of money in that fight. And this was a great fight tonight. Mike has the guts of a lion. He stayed in there, he hurt Marquez pretty good but Marquez is Marquez. Marquez is a great fighter."
Then again, Arum stressed that there's no existing contract requiring Marquez to fight Pacquiao again, and the Mexican has all the rights to reject the offer.
"There is nothing contractual with the two fighters that are fighting Saturday (Sunday in Manila), but they know I will offer the winner a fight with Manny and it's up to the winner to accept or reject it," Arum said in World Boxing News via ABS-CBN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date